[Groups] Allow Groups to set Homepage

We have more schools using the admin- and course-level groups feature to communicate with staff in the building and differentiate by type of staff, grade level teams, departments and others.  It would be extremely beneficial if the group function allowed them to set a custom homepage.  If you go to the pages it does allow you to set a homepage but then the group home only shows the recent activity stream.

Added to Theme

84 Comments
danielschindler
Community Novice

I totally agree with most comments about the utility of adding this feature. It seems strange to allow creation of a Group page without the ability to set a homepage. Courses are complex and require clear separation of group-specific course materials from main course (e.g. the clinical vs. the lecture components).

jlubkinchavez
Community Contributor

Came to the community specifically searching for this feature. Please re-open to voting. I vote up! I have some groups that want to set their own home page, and looks like I'll have to create separate courses specifically for this functionality. Would have preferred to keep them in one course.

sgarcia1
Community Participant

Please do not forget to vote by adding 5 stars so that this idea is more visible.
In my organization we really, really need this feature. Our students have multiple team assignments and they need to know certain information about their group (virtual room, teacher, timeline, etc); a homepage at the Groups area will be the perfect spot for that, and right now without it, this area is only confusing them.

kthompson2
Community Explorer

We would like this as well. It would be used for groups that aren't classrooms. For example: Student council, Class of 2022, NHS, etc. Also, for professional groups of teachers. Please reopen for voting. 

AaronHolton
Community Novice

Please reopen for voting. This needs to happen

crenfieldmiller
Community Member

This idea would be so helpful! We have groups for different communities of practice and it would be helpful to include information on how to use the group, links to various components of the group, etc. from the homepage. As it is, when users access the group they're a little lost about what they're supposed to do. 

yuyenchang
Community Participant

Besides giving this post 5 stars, is there another way to vote on this idea? It would be so helpful to have this option. Currently it's really confusing as the menu inside of a group's space offers an choice to "make as frontpage" but nothing seems to happen when I click on that. I don't think it made the page my course's main page, either. Could someone clarify why that choice is on the kebob menu?

sgarcia1
Community Participant

@yuyenchang This is all the information I have 😞 
How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you @sgarcia1  for pointing @yuyenchang to that resource.  @yuyenchang you have already done the two main things a person can best do to advocate for changes and improvements in Canvas, namely seeking out a related idea, giving it a star rating and then in comments explaining what challenges this idea would address, what work arounds exist, etc.  What happens next are two things really.  First, as our Product team is deciding how to allocate finite development resources one of the inputs they consider are top starred idea conversations.  And second, if we decide that devoting development resources to a given area of Canvas will benefit the most people possible, product managers will carefully read all the comments on all the ideas that relate to that area of Canvas so they can hope to understand all the issues and challenges before setting about designing a solution.

yuyenchang
Community Participant

Thanks @scottdennis & @sgarcia1! We use Groups but the space is confusing. Without the ability to customizing the homepage or the navigation bar within the group's space, I can't provide a very good user experience for my learners. Thanks for reviewing the request and considering this idea.