In Permissions, Separate "Add/remove other teachers, course designers, TAs, and Observers to the course" into 8 permissions

Please change each the "Add/remove other teachers, course designers or TAs to the course" from a single setting to 6 settings.

Current:

Add/remove other teachers, course designers or TAs to the course

Should become:

• Add teachers to a course
  • Remove teachers from a course
  • Add course designers to a course
  • Remove course designers from a course
  • Add TAs to a course
  • Remove TAs from a course
  • Add Observers to a course
  • Remove Observers from a course
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-03-20).

70 Comments
tdelillo
Community Champion

I know this is archived, but I thought it might be a good place to mention that the "Add observer" permission has been decoupled from the "Add Teacher/TA/Designer" permission again, per the release notes for this weekend (It's under "Fixed Bugs"). If this matters to you, please head over there and comment. Our teachers don't have the "Add student" permission, so this change takes away their ability to add an observer to their class (again). Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Jeff_F
Community Champion

Just today I had a Dean request the ability to enroll a TA.   To fulfill the request I also had to give rights to enroll Teachers, etc.  I am so glad this is on the radar as interest in doing so is soon to spread.

donna_lummis
Community Participant

Please move this idea up on the production schedule! We are using EvaluationKit through Canvas and can no longer allow teachers to enroll other teachers or students. Allowing this causes guests to either be evaluated, or to receive course evaluation invitations. We want teachers to use other roles instead, but turning off these 2 permissions turns off their ability to enroll anyone. They can't even enroll users as observers (which isn't mentioned in the permissions) or into custom-made roles. This is a real problem. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings!  We have exciting news about the first phase of the Priority: Granular Permissions‌.  The New User Interface is included in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-07-02).  Go check it out!

donna_lummis
Community Participant

This new interface is much better. Looking forward to seeing more separation in the enrollment permissions, hopefully in another phase soon. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The New User Interface is now in the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

And erinhallmark‌ has just created this great supporting resource at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14929-permissions-name-updates-2018-07-14-canvas-release 

Enjoy!

Kelley

millerjm
Community Champion

It's beautiful!!!!  Heart

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.