Inactive enrollment status for withdrawn students

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We are a new Canvas customer and still in the implementation phase.  We are struggling to find a system that would allow us to completely remove the ability for a student to access a site but allow the instructors to view the activity.

Due to Federal financial aid policies, our financial aid office needs the last date of attendance for students who withdrew themselves from classes in 2013-2014.  This has put a huge burden on our faculty and our elearning department, who must research this last date of attendance on behalf of the faculty because the students are no longer enrolled in the class in the LMS. We need to be able to empower our faculty and academic deans to be able to go into the courses and be able to easily figure out what a student did during the semester, what grades were earned, and any communication that occurred during the course.  These issues are not unique to our institution – because it is a federal financial aid issue, it probably affects most higher-ed institutions in the US.  We have spoken to a number of other institutions using Canvas and so far everyone has had the same dilemma.

Currently, there are the following enrollment statuses documented and easily available in Canvas, according to the SIS API documentation:

1. Active
  2. Deleted
  3. Completed

There was a related posting in the old community from January 29, 2015 from Scott Finkeldei:

39478_2015-04-22_16-55-09.png2015-04-22_16-55-09.png

In the full API documentation available at:  https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/all_resources.html , There seems to be a few other states that can be chosen for an enrollment.  I cannot find any other information about the “inactive” status. When I used SIS import to change an enrolled student to “inactive,” it was successful and changed the state to "inactive."  However, the user disappears from the roster and gradebook in the course.

39473_withdrawn1.pngwithdrawn1.png

I did some testing, and this is what happened with the Completed and Inactive states:

Completed:  Student still had access to some parts of the course, and could post new discussion messages.  The student could see assignments and submissions.  It also logged activity when accessing the course with the “completed” status.  The instructor was able to see the student’s activity accurately under “View Prior Enrollments.”  I attempted to create a new section with a past date on it and checking the boxes to not allow access.  This removed the ability for the student to access the course but the activity reports did not appear correctly because technically the course was only running for one day.

39474_withdrawn2.pngwithdrawn2.png39475_withdrawn3.pngwithdrawn3.png

The completed students also show in the Gradebook if “show Concluded enrollments” is chosen. 

39476_withdrawn4.pngwithdrawn4.png

Inactive:  Student had no access to anything in the course, as desired.  The student did not appear under “View Prior Enrollments” but the activity did show up in the admin screen under the user details for Page Views.

39477_withdrawn5.pngwithdrawn5.png

We would like to limit ALL access to the course for the “inactive” student like seems to be happening now, but leave this activity and gradebook data in the course for the instructor to see. This would greatly simplify the process of obtaining the Last Date of Attendance.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09)

People

Inactive Enrollment Type

90 Comments
AA1234
Community Participant

Thanks Scott!

susan_cornish
Community Novice

Yesterday we got word that this is the second most popular issue for Canvas Admins. Surely we can move beyond 'Consideration for future development' . This is a business need for so many organisations.

jason_paddock
Community Explorer

Yes, very important need for us for many of the reasons listed above.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now in development!  Thank you for the investment you made in this idea and this Community!  We appreciate you!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

It's like Christmas in November!! This is absolutely wonderful news!!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

It's not even Black Friday yet, Kona, but Christmas is coming!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We've been asking/begging for this since we first looked at Canvas in 2011, so yes, this is a very very happy announcement!!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I think whether the inactive status is attached to the user or to the enrollment is very important.  If you make a user inactive in one course they could still be active in other courses.  This could be good in a situation where a student's schedule changes mid-term or where they drop one course.  I wonder if an inactive status in a course would almost make one not active in groups associated with that course?  If an institution wanted to make a user inactive in all courses would they still be allowed to login, send messages, check grades, see their activity stream, check ePortfolios, etc?  Would there be pros and cons to both scenarios?

millerjm
Community Champion
Author

I think Susan's description is the same case for our institution.  There are two separate items here.  Making an account disabled is a completely different scenario to our college than making a student inactive in the course.

This may only apply to one class out of several that the student is taking. 

A student may withdraw, or be withdrawn from a course.  This student is no longer allowed to "attend" class, so anything associated with that class should go away completely. 

The instructor needs to be able to view grades, activity, assignment and quiz submissions for students who are made inactive.

The student should no longer be able to access the course, send messages, see the activity stream, participate in groups.  I'm not sure about ePortfolios since we don't use that feature currently.  I think each of these should be granular and allow the institution to choose what these students see.  It should be an account-level or root account-level setting.  Once again, it all comes down to granularity and setting policies that work for the institution!  Something like this with a checkbox for each item...

Inactive students are able to: 

Access Course

Send Messages to Students

Send Messages to Instructors

See Activity Stream

Check grades

Check ePortfolios

millerjm
Community Champion
Author

This is wonderful news!  Smiley Happy