Message Students Directly From People Tab

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I would like to be able to message students from their "people" page.  This would allow me to more quickly and efficiently interact with the student in a variety of ways.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

44 Comments
rachel_shane
Community Novice

YES!  I hate that you have to leave the course to email a student. It is crazy. I want to be able to email a student from anywhere that I can click on on their name.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @skoogi ​

You are in luck, you can already do that in Canvas.

• Go to people Pages,
  • Click on a student's name,
  • Choose "Send Message" in the right-side menu.

I hope this helps.

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@iskoog ​

Does this work flow help?  Would you still like your idea to move forward?

rachel_shane
Community Novice

The Send Message button doesn't exit for me.

**Image redacted by Community Team for privacy concerns

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Rachel:

Click on "User Account Details" on the right side.

There are two configurations for the User Profile page depending on how your instance of Canvas is configured.

KLM

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Did Kelley's additional prompt help? Were you able to find the button? Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I want to make sure and connect this idea with another that was just submitted.  Neither have been opened for voting yet. 

swolf
Community Explorer

Hi Kelley, I'm afraid there is no message or user account details when you click on a student's name in my (VCCCD) instance of Canvas, I'm guessing this is likely the case for many users. Wouldn't it be nice if it were a standard feature to just email a student right from the People list?

rachel_shane
Community Novice

In my opinion, the current method does not really address the issue. There are way too many clicks necessary in order to email a student. I hate that you have to leave the course and go to the Inbox in order to write and send the email. Then you have to navigate back to the course through Dashboard or Courses and find where you were at and what you were doing before to continue.

It would be better if from anywhere in the course, you could click or right click on a student's name and select an option "send email" and an email window popped up. Then once you sent it, you were right back in the spot where you were.

MikeM
Community Participant

I also do not have the option to email the students from within people in the Butte College instance. It would seem like a no-brainer to add a hyperlink to the email address that is already shown on the people page. It would be great if that hyperlink would take you to the inbox tool with the users address already entered.