[Modules] Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Idea is currently in development

It would be great if I could give Modules unique gating rules specific to individual students or groups or sections within the course, similar to how I can create unique assignment due dates for different students and sections.
108 Comments
erin_walle
Community Member

With the growing need for remote learning due to the pandemic, I would die for the option to just have some modules available for certain kids.  My gosh this would be so helpful.

fkolarz
Community Explorer

I would like to suggest the option to assign a group of students to a module.  There are times when the content within a module only pertains to a certain group of students. I inquired about this and was told the only way to do this is through an assignment.  There are times when an assignment isn't needed.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@fkolarz 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader discussion, you might also be interested in checking out the related conversation at Unlocking Modules for individual students .

collierta
Community Member

I would like to be able to make modules visible to only some students. As it is, when I have a module that only applies to some students, they get confused about who is supposed to complete the items in the module, even when I assign graded items to only some students.

Tech4Teaching
Community Member

As an instructor, I would love to have the ability to create modules that are section specific and/or student specific.  This provides yet another level of differentiation for instruction.  Not only do students need assignments focused on specific skills they are working on, but they also need corresponding instruction for those skills.  This applies to all students, whether they are achieving below, at, or above grade level expectations.  Based on what I have found in the Commons, only assignments, quizzes, and discussions can be sent to different sections.  These components are demonstrations of a student's learning, and do not necessarily provide access to differentiated course content.  As a work-around, teachers could use "assignments" for instruction, but this can be overwhelming for many students as they have to scroll through the assignments list; whereas the module feature in Canvas provides a great organizational component.

smccowan
Community Novice

I agree that it would be wonderful to make a module viewable to only one section or group.

lavenia_clark
Community Member

Allow modules to be assigned to certain students and or groups. 

HungTrinh
Community Member

It will help to solve my problem (due to top down decision - they cross list all classes of same subject into one course), now I need to have different module viewable to different classes inside. 

roselle_basa
Community Participant

May I know that status of the feature?