[Modules] Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Idea is currently in development

It would be great if I could give Modules unique gating rules specific to individual students or groups or sections within the course, similar to how I can create unique assignment due dates for different students and sections.
108 Comments
vierra_s
Community Member

Sometimes lectures and labs are separate courses that receive separate grades on a transcript. A lot of times the lecture and lab is one grade. Labs, however, do not always align one-on-one with lecture material. This makes it difficult to create modules that are cohesive outside of "Weekly Modules".

If there was some way to create two subsets of modules -- Labs and Course materials. In this way, instructors and students could more easily separate lab material from lecture material, while both types of work contribute to one grade. The idea is to be able to switch between the lab and lecture material with ease.

For instance, it would be nice for me to create "Weekly Modules" for the lab component, while creating "Unit Modules" for the lecture component. In this way, students could complete their labs, that may or may not be cohesively bound, while also working on course lecture material that is conceptually bound.

IngridMo
Community Member

Hi,

It will be good if we can add sections for the modules. Our programs have different sections/cohorts and there's a "cheat sheet" module that is not accessible if they join the course. 

I cannot find that we can limit the sections for a module. I think it will be a great feature.

Thank you 🙂

AnnRichardson
Community Member

I would love to be able to limit modules, headers, pages, links, etc. to different sections and groups. I need to be able to customize different lessons and paths within my Canvas.

DEBORAHGOADE
Community Novice

I would be awesome if you were able to add a feature where we can assign a module to specific students in the course so that they are the only ones who can see it.  

IDEAAcademy
Community Member

I have been looking for a good work around to this for ages.
In some instances in our Academy we have students who are following one module ONLY from an entire course.
We would love to be able to add said students to that specific module instead of giving them access to the whole course.

jessica_wedekin
Community Novice

I would like to be able to assign an entire module to selected students.  Right now this option exists only for graded assignments and quizzes.  I would like it so that a module can be "hidden" from all except the students it applies to.  This would allow me to create individualized interventions.

JuliaFoust
Community Member

If would be helpful if teachers could publish modules/lessons for specific students.  This could be used when a student or students are out of school for an extended time. Once the module is closed it would be nice to open for individual students with extenuating circumstances without giving all students access.

jjclements76
Community Member

This is absolutely necessary for what I teach.  My subject is rather broad, and has several different pathways that students can pursue in learning our subject.  I really need the ability to assign modules to each different pathway.  I don't want students to have to scroll through all the the modules to find the one that applies to them.  Too many errors are happening with that way.  Please make this happen!

snj2391
Community Member

It would be great if we could limit modules to certain sections of a class.

Tsmit026
Community Member

So the way I want to use this is to create a course for a whole department and then have modules for specific areas in the department.

For example I have a course called HCX-English with sections called English 9, English 10, English 11, English 12, and All English.

I would like a module for each section and have no use for the mastery path as there is nothing to master.