[Modules] Modules Display as Collapsed by Default

With courses that have many modules and module items, the default un-collapsed state on the modules page makes the view overwhelming. I would love the option to choose a 'current' module and have that automatically open for students or at least have the default view be auto-collapsed. The un-collapsed view is often a turn-off to faculty and designers who are considering different ways to represent their course content.

79 Comments
jure2
Community Novice

stefaniesanders Thanks for the heads up!

cbarham
Community Novice

Hey Michelle!

Do you have a workaround for having to scroll back up to "Home" when the modules page is extremely long? 

I often use a Table of Contents page also, but for the course I am currently working on, I need a solution to having to scroll so far back up the page. 

Just curious if you've encountered it also? I'm looking through threads in the community to see if anyone else has posted the problem/potential solution also.

Thanks,

Christy

michelle1_krumm
Community Member

By "Home" I assume you mean the Home page. You could add the Home page to the end of each module, or the Table of Contents page for that matter. Or, whatever your last item is, you could add a button at the bottom that says "Return Home": <p><a id="" class="btn btn-primary" href="XXXXlinkXXXX" >Return Home</a></p>

cbarham
Community Novice

Thanks Michelle! That is definitely a great and easy fix. Unfortunately the course I'm currently working on will have a lot of inexperienced contributors and I worry this will frustrate them (having to remember to add the home link to each module). But it could definitely work in other courses I design. I've seen a few threads asking for a sticky menu...maybe one day it will happen Smiley Happy thanks again for the idea! 

jenny_hopf
Community Novice

Yes please!  I was shocked to find that an expand all/collapse all button at the top of the page was not standard! 

If this is not going to be implemented soon, what about making all modules collapsed by default, rather than expanded?

jfahs
Community Contributor

Are there any new updates on a timeline for this Product Radar feature? The last update was September 2016. 

jfahs
Community Contributor

And if this feature is ever to be implemented, then there necessarily would have to be an expand/collapse all button because there are going to be instructors who would not want collapse all as the default. 

rkahn
Community Participant

I think a Collapse All/Expand All option is needed, for sure.

jason_anfield
Community Novice

We definitely need the ability to close the modules - way too overwhelming at first login when there is more than 10 modules, and each has multiple objects inside. It would be great to be able to toggle module closed/open at the course level.

aaron_bahmer
Community Contributor

I was hoping that if I left the modules collapsed in my teacher view that students would at least start in that same state. Too bad that was not the case. I'm in favor of initially collapsed by default, opening only when accessed. I'd like them to close again so that only the module that a student is currently viewing is opened, but I see good reasons above why that should only be an option. How about these options for this future setting:

• Open by default (user can close many, but they reopen on next class access)
  • Closed by default (user can open many, but they close on next class access)
  • Context default (when module is accessed, it opens and all others close)
  • Locked open (cannot ever be collapsed)
  • more??

Oh! Maybe the options above should be a setting *per module* rather than affecting the entire tool. Hmmmm. That way, I could have an all-important module that is locked open but others are set for context, opening only when they are being viewed.