Multiple Grading Periods in Canvas App

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016  Learn more about voting...

We would like our students to be able to check their grades within the Canvas App. However, since we are in a K-12 environment and use 4 Quarters to grade, it would be beneficial for students to be able to switch between grading periods to get an accurate quarter average.

Comments from Instructure

This idea is complete.  Please review 

*Note: iOS does not provide the ability to toggle between multiple grading periods at this time.  It will display only the current grading period.

33 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Peyton, this is awesome! I noticed the change on my Android device this morning, but the update for iOS will be very welcomed by my students. Thank you for the update!!

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Very good news indeed Peyton.  Are there any screen shots of what this looks like that we can reference in communications to our students and parents?

Thanks,

Joe

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I'm sure our documentation team will have something that looks better when they update our guides, but here are some screenshots, first from Android:

Screenshot_2016-03-01-11-37-42.png

The dashboard cards will show the student's total grade from the current period.

Screenshot_2016-03-01-11-38-37.png

The assignments component will filter assignments to the current period by default, and the student will be able to select another period, or all periods to change the list of assignments accordingly (see the menu at the top of the page).

Screenshot_2016-03-01-11-38-23.png

The grades component will filter assignments to the current period by default, and the student will be able to select another period, or all periods to change the list of assignments and total grade accordingly (see the menu beneath the total score for the period).

Now for the initial iOS release:

Image.png

The grades component will filter assignments to the current period, and the student won't have the ability to navigate to another period from the iOS app. Again, we'll continue work to get iOS up to speed, but the victory for now is that the student's total score will reflect only the current period.

In case you missed the footnote above: If you aren't using multiple grading periods in your course, nothing changes and none of this applies to you.

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Peyton,

On the iOS version, the grades can appear on the app home screen if you click the little icon to show them.  Screen shots in Tom Gibbons post​   Will this grade also be current quarter?  I'm asking because your screen shot showed going into the course and clicking on grades which is helpful, but I think most people are looking for that summary right on the home screen.  Thanks.  - Joe

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi Joe,

I forgot to mention that. Yes, we'll show the current grading period's total grade on the dashboard card in iOS as well:

Image (1).png

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Outstanding.  Thank you.  I also just verified the Android version and it all looks good. Thanks for your work and please let us know the moment the Apple version is released.

bourjaim
Community Participant

Awesome news--my students are eagerly awaiting the iOS update (translation: they are constantly asking me to "fix" Canvas for them so it only shows second semester).  Thanks so much for being so proactive about this.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This idea is complete.  Please review 

*Note: iOS does not provide the ability to toggle between multiple grading periods at this time.  It will display only the current grading period.

amber_depetro
Community Novice

I'm pleased and yet disappointed by this update. I was hoping that, like online, students could toggle between quarters to see the progression of their scores on the app.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Coming very soon!