Mute assignment as a option at assignment creation

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
Please can we have this as it could save a lot of headache for teachers 

When you create an assignment can we have it to either

1. Automatically set the assignment to be muted at point of creation
  2. Having muting an assignment as option in the creation list

It is too easy to forget to Mute an assignment and there are no queues at creation.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16958-canvas-release-notes-2019-07-13 .

69 Comments
Community Novice

This is an ongoing request from instructors at our university, especially for those who have teaching teams (often large-enrollment courses) who collaborate when grading assessments. While we do our best to incorporate the step of muting assignments into our trainings, consultations, and other support communications, we're not able to reach everyone, and many instructors still end up with the support burden of students inquiring about why their grades are being changed, why another student's assignment has been graded and not theirs, and a proliferation of notifications resulting from grade changes. Making this option available at the time that instructors are creating the assignment would greatly improve the visibility of the muting function, which would make instructors more aware of the availability of this feature.

vkg
Community Contributor

What I hear most from instructors is that they want to have assignments muted by default.  I saw in a separate idea thread that Instructure is not planning on adopting that approach.  At first I thought, well, fine -- having a checkbox to mute the assignment at creation would be fine.  But on further reflection since many of our instructors *copy* their assignments from term to term I think they would typically NOT create the assignment each term and never see the checkbox in the normal course of events.

Given this, wouldn't it be better to take a different workflow approach entirely?

phammett
Community Novice

As a heavy user of the quizzes feature, the inability to default to 'mute' the assignment is by FAR the most frustrating feature of CANVAS. While I have been fully trained and consider myself an advanced user, I still occasionally forget to hit the mute button as it is in a different location and non-intuitive. While this happens maybe 1 out of every 50 quizzes I post, these are costly. Every time I forget, some student will get to see the correct answers before they are released, even though there is a later date entered for release. Having the DEFAULT to not show answers until an assignment is officially released has been the DEFAULT setting in learning management systems going back to at least the 1980s (e.g., Prometheus). I have read that this change is in the pipeline. However, it is still NOT there.

When will this be fixed?

regards

phammett
Community Novice

As a heavy user of the quizzes feature, the inability to default to 'mute' the assignment is by FAR the most frustrating feature of CANVAS. While I have been fully trained and consider myself an advanced user, I still occasionally forget to hit the mute button as it is in a different location and non-intuitive. While this happens maybe 1 out of every 50 quizzes I post, these are costly. Every time I forget, some student will get to see the correct answers before they are released, even though there is a later date entered for release. Having the DEFAULT to not show answers until an assignment is officially released has been the DEFAULT setting in learning management systems going back to at least the 1980s (e.g., Prometheus). I have read that this change is in the pipeline. However, it is still NOT there.

When will this be fixed?

regards

DanBurgess
Community Participant

I hope an implementation of this feature request will support setting the Mute status through the gradebook CSV import for both new and existing assignment scores.  

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Yes, it takes a long time to mute/unmute assignments singly. Three mouse clicks per assignment means lots of clicks every semester. I'd love to be able to import the assignments already muted, or at least to have an option to mute multiple assignments at once. 

willmoin
Community Participant

I just wanted to day that this would be a big help if this was implemented - it can cause a big headache if staff forget to Mute the Assignment, particularly likely when they are just learning to use Canvas or having to relearn it as assessment periods are far between. 

atia_kabir
Community Novice

Hi There,

while this feature gets due consideration by Canvas, is there any code (in javascript) or a quick fix which I can use to make any Assignment Mute by default when it's created? 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@atia_kabir ‌, you might want to post that question in the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=ddd5d1dd-e12e-4f9b-89b2-...‌ group to get more experts' eyes on it. If you're not yet a member of that group, you can join by clicking on the link to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown at the upper right of the group home page.

james_trueman
Community Contributor

Hi all, we're from the UK and brought this issue up through our local User Group when Canvas use grew over here.  TBH I (wrongly) thought we were bringing a new feature request to the table - that fitted our workflows but not those over the pond.  How wrong I was! Somewhat sad that this request has been voiced so coherently and clearly for so long without progress Smiley Sad