[New Quizzes] Allow Quiz Regrade for Questions Linked to Banks

We heavily use the question bank folders to keep our questions organized.  We create them in the banks since it is the only way to keep them from going into an "unfiled" folder.

The regrade feature needs to be allowed for questions linked to banks.  If the question is wrong in one quiz, it is wrong everywhere so I fail to see what it matters if it is referenced multiple places.  Regrading is critical to fair grading and it makes no sense to either be stuck with a choice between a completely disorganized question database and losing the regrade option.

Added to Theme

70 Comments
johnb
Community Participant

Dear Canvas,

Please fix this. This type of functionality should be an absolute priority. I cannot believe that this issue is 5 years old and still unresolved. It is completely unacceptable. 

Regards,

jb

milesl
Community Contributor

I was getting ready to give an instructor the bad news that question bank questions can't be regraded in new quizzes, but it looks like it now is?

Maybe I'm doing something different than what others are asking for?

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 10.15.50 AM.png

KBurnette2021
Community Member

OK, I have just learned the hard way that if I want to re-grade a multiple-choice question, I can't do this if the question is in an Item Bank.

Can we ADD this feature?  Just put in some sort of "warning: questions may be in more than one quiz.  Do you wish to continue?" statement. 

"Quiz regrade does not apply to questions linked to a question bank since questions may be used in more than one quiz."

RebeccaMoulder
Community Contributor

Pulling questions from a bank is the one of the best ways to create variation and/or organize questions in a quiz. Plus, it greatly decreases the ability of students to share answers with their peers. Instructors shouldn't have to choose between making their quizzes more secure and having the safety net of regrading a question.

cvolpe1
Community Participant

Please allow for this functionality. It is critical!

neftaliw
Community Novice

In Canvas we are always forced to choose between features. Classic quizzes vs New Quizzes and now using Item Banks vs not using them. Item banks help reduce rework for future offerings but not being able to regrade questions linked to item banks is just non-sensical. Please fix this

femmeduciel
Community Member

This is a request that has been requested by users for approaching 7 years. Clearly, this is a highly sought-after request. The feedback in the guides states, "Questions that are linked to a Question Bank cannot be regraded since they may be used in more than one quiz." However... if the question was marked wrong in one quiz, it will be wrong in them all. Just as we are given an option on how to handle the point distribution can it also ask us if we just want to update this quiz or ALL quizzes this bank is associated with? 

MartinMonti
Community Member

Same issue here.

Until my University switched to Canvas, I used Moodle which had the ability to have well organized banks and also to easily do re-grades for questions with incorrect answers (in banks).

I have to say, it is a general trend of Canvas to work for small courses but to be unusable for managing large ones. Another similar issue is "changing allotted time" to students for quizzes. In canvas you can only select a handful of students at a time (because their menu only shows some 20 students at a time) which is a breeze with 25 students and a massive pain when you have 300+.

In Moodle I could create groups with different time allotments (this day and age more than a 3rd of my students have accommodations of this sort), assign students to these groups and then set extra time for each group as needed. Took less than a minute to do. Why did we ever leave Moodle.. 😞

GusWood
Community Member

Our school is also transitioning from Moodle and is running into this issue. We generally recommend using question banks and pulling questions randomly from large question banks to combat cheating on quizzes. Without this functionality to regrade questions pulled from a question bank teachers are left with having to manually adjust scores for students and the difficulty of finding which students were given the question/s that need to be regraded. On the student end because the question won't be updated they won't have clarity of their incorrect or actual correct response for the question which is misleading to their understanding of the material.

If the question is wrong in one quiz it would be wrong in any quiz it is placed in, I don't understand the justification of "Quiz regrade does not apply to questions linked to a question bank since questions may be used in more than one quiz." on https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/What-options-can-I-use-to-regrade-a-quiz-in-a-co...

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme