[New Quizzes] Allow Students to View Submissions in Past Courses

Currently, if students try to view their quiz submissions in New Quizzes for a past course, they encounter a "403 - Forbidden" error.

NQSubmission.png

This is true even if the quiz and course settings are configured to allow students to continue viewing submissions and course content in read-only mode. Instructors can still view student submissions for New Quizzes in past-term sites. 

This behavior is contrary to how New Quizzes used to work and is inconsistent with past-term viewing of Classic Quizzes submissions. The student guide, How do I view my assessment results as a student in New Quizzes?, does not mention any limitations with courses in a past term. Students often reference their past quizzes and exams for a variety of reasons and should be allowed to continue doing so in past courses as long as the quiz settings allow.

The workaround of changing the term to any active term or updating the participation settings for the course aren’t ideal for a few reasons. Namely, changing the course term to active would display the course(s) on all enrolled students’ dashboards again, allow students to retake quizzes if multiple attempts are allowed and there’s no “Available Until” date, and require intervention from a Canvas admin to set the sites as active if the term has already ended.

If the quiz settings do not restrict the student result view, students should still be able to view their quiz submissions for New Quizzes in past courses.

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

sdw2134
Community Member

Thank you very much for documenting this behavior!  

The ability to view past submissions to quizzes, which are used for such a wide-range of teaching purposes, is absolutely critical.  If a Teacher explicitly indicates that a student should be able to view their own responses, I can not think of a reason to prevent a student's ability to review their own work.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@RebeccaMoulder @sdw2134 Thanks for sharing this idea. Since the idea notes a recent change in behavior, would you confirm that you've already run this past Canvas Support and provide the case numbers for the interactions?

RebeccaMoulder
Community Contributor

@Stef_retired Sure, I submitted case #07525181 and L2 support suggested creating the idea conversation.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@RebeccaMoulder Thank you, Rebecca! We've moved the idea forward for further discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

emilywthompson
Community Explorer

This seems like a no-brainer if this bug is real. Students should definitely be able to review prior quiz submissions in a read-only way.

DeletedUser
Not applicable

Sounds like a good idea...😎

leward
Community Contributor

There is an account-level admin setting, "Restrict students from viewing quiz questions after course end date," that prevents students from viewing quiz results from past terms...that may be what's at play here. This setting also applies to classic quizzes. For more info, see: How do I set details for an account?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New