[New Quizzes] Allow annotated feedback in Speedgrader for essay questions

Completing assessment online is fast becoming the norm in Australia, and our students are expected to complete a range of tests via this method, including extended writing pieces. In order to prepare our students for such experiences, we are using the Essay option in Quizzes for students to submit timed writing pieces, as Spell Check can be switched off, work is saved in case of error, and Speedgrader allows teachers to use the inbuilt rubric to provide feedback. 

However, currently, teachers are unable to provide any annotations onto student submissions if they are submitted through the Quizzes function, unlike a Microsoft Word typed and uploaded piece, which has extensive options for annotation through Speedgrader. 

It seems that annotation in Quizzes is something that is desired for students as well, in this idea: Student Highlight & Annotation Tools for Quizzes

I would like for there to be options for teachers to annotate essay submissions from students through the Quizzes tool via Speedgrader, to facilitate more meaningful feedback and therefore improved engagement with feedback from students.  

Added to Theme

39 Comments
bsr
Community Contributor

Adding to the chorus: yes, please to both annotation and rubrics on essay questions. It is pretty standard practice to include essay questions on exams, along with other question types, yet it is so very difficult to grade and give feedback on essay questions within a quiz. At the very least the essay type should have a rubric option, but ideally both rubric and annotation options, so that we can refer to specific parts of an answer, make grammar corrections, etc. Grading without feedback is not pedagogically sound or helpful, but right now we have no ability to provide feedback on these questions.

Cheri_Hamilton
Community Explorer

Useful feedback is a MUST in education. Please find a way to add the annotation tool to New Quizzes. And while you're at it, please add a way to access SpeedGrader from New Quizzes!

kjones56
Community Member

We absolutely need this feature.  For math and other subjects where students may need to upload a handwritten response to a quiz question, teachers need to have access to the same annotation tools that are normally available when files are uploaded as assignments.

Quizzes provide important benefits that assignments do not -- such as randomized questions, and attempt time limits.  

PLEASE find a way for teachers to use Speedgrader annotation tools on handwritten uploads submitted in a QUIZ question.

Thank you.

smithlisa
Community Explorer

Some of these comments cause me to hesitate in moving to New Quizzes.

I had the very sad task of telling an instructor that they could not annotate the 62 essays they'd received as part of the final exam.  We are a law school, so these essays can be very long.  Although we can still use rubrics the profs want to provide more fine detail.  I vote for annotation and look forward to hearing more about the improvements Canvas continually provides.

bcalnan
Community Participant

I would like to throw my support behind the suggestion to allow the use of annotation tools while scoring within Quizzes. This is about providing students with specific, relevant, and timely feedback.

adham
Community Member

Please allow this feature for both students and teachers!

sinhams
Community Member

I was about to make this suggestion and saw this thread with so many requests. Is there any prospect of this idea suggestion being implemented in new quizzes soon? Ability to make annotations in quiz answers, especially in essay type questions, will be immensely useful. 

mcordes1
Community Participant

This functionality is needed for file upload quizzes. We need to be able to password-protect test documents and time students when they complete the test; however, I cannot annotate when the students upload their completed test. I have to download the file, mark up the file, and reupload the file. The annotation tools are needed for these types of quizzes! 

MPP_Instructor
Community Member

It is vital to have this implemented for file upload quizzes.  Instructors need to be able to mark up the documents using speedgrader instead of downloading, marking, and then uploading.

samuel_heer
Community Participant

Thanks to @clare_mackie for this idea!

A very important feature for us as well! We use the quiz tool for exams with many (larger) essay questions. One comment box at the end of each question is just not enough to provide insightful feedback! It is very important to have the possibility to leave comments directly in the student's essay.

@awilliams: Please implement, this would greatly improve the quiz tool for real exams! Cannot upvote this feature idea enough!

Kind regards
Samuel