New Quizzes: Blueprint master to sync New Quizzes more than the initial sync.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I think it should be built in, that blueprint masters update Quizzes.Next even beyond the initial sync. I think this would be important when there are spelling or grammar error or if the wrong question or answer was used. If changes are made with the current way the courses sync with Quizzes.Next, any changes have to be done manually. This is very time consuming when have multi-child courses to work with. blue print quiz.next blueprint sync sync

42 Comments
terisaurus
Community Member

Hi Rusty,

New Canvas user here, I cannot believe this is not built-in! We are running into this issue for courses which are long (cross two semesters), meaning the quizzes can't be iterated/added to for the second half of the course, even if it's not yet available to students.. 

drummond_r
Community Participant

Lucky for us, I broke the courses up into semesters, but that give us double the amount, which is around 80 of them at this point. Love to have canvas developers look into this, especially when they "turn off" the old quizzes. 

terisaurus
Community Member

Noted.

I was trying to think through if I could "cleverly" un-publish later topics in the blueprint before syncing new courses. I thought this might make quizzes in the latter part of the course (which have already synced to old courses), not show up until I'm ready in the next iterations of the course.. not sure if this makes sense. Still trying to think of ideas for a workflow that doesn't involve managing blueprints that are essentially copies, or breaking up the course into pieces.

Thanks for posting this idea.

kidsonh
Community Novice

We are struggling with this now... We just discovered Quizzes.Next and we're in the process of helping our content area teams develop their interim assessments using this tool.  However, we (of course) synced our blueprint courses in August... so we just spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why our syncs weren't allowing access to our new quizzes.  Yikes!  It's a great tool for building - so much cleaner and friendlier than the older quiz-building tool, but we're gonna need this functionality ASAP for it to be worth using for our curriculum teams.

quinn
Community Member

So many mistakes, so little time. We are so dependent upon Blueprints it's not funny, but the ability to correct and resync quizzes from the Blueprint is a must for us to consider moving to Quizzes.next.  Having one mistake to fix in a Blueprint, but having to manually fix the associated courses would be moving backwards for us, and we'd like to move to Quizzes.next. Can I have more votes to put here?

drummond_r
Community Participant

This does not seem to be getting the attention I had hoped for, but I am sure of this: When Canvas stops using the old quizzes and forces everyone into New Quizzes, It will become an attention getter. I think there are far less of us using or trying to use the new quizzes to get proper recognition. 

terisaurus
Community Member

Agreed.

jwadec
Community Contributor

You are not wrong, Rusty. 

I feel that there is some thought from product folks that some type of parity has been reached but that is far from true. The fact that very few items regarding new quizzes have come out over the last six months is interesting. Also now that the release notes for February are out means with the current timeline, there are only 10 months to get things up to parity and release a true migration tool. Whew! Let's see what happens!

drummond_r
Community Participant

I am hoping they see this as an issue, especially when many classes are built on one blueprint course. 

cheeren
Community Novice

I agree that this is something that should have been thought of prior to release. We are going through a headache with trying to work around it. Hoping it gets resolved sooner rather than later!