[New Quizzes] Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a teacher assigns multiple attempts for an assignment it would be nice if the system would automatically perform one of the following during the student's next attempt:

1. Populate the correct answers from the previous attempt. 

2. Show only the incorrect problems from the previous attempt.

Added to Theme

157 Comments
cunninghama
Community Participant

I currently use the quiz feature for students to submit homework assignments.  Homework should be for practice and they shouldn't get docked for incorrect answers at this point in their knowledge acquisition so I allow them infinite attempts with the intent that they revisit their incorrect problems and fix them.  It becomes a time issue when students must re-enter the questions they did correctly, especially for the class I teach which is an Advanced Geometry class and requires them to do multi-step problems, submit pictures of their drawings, etc.  If this is a feature they add and you are opposed then you don't have to use it but please don't prevent those of us that could benefit from it from using it.

katrina_nagle
Community Member

I, and many others, would really appreciate this feature being added!  For math classes, this would be an especially helpful option as it usually takes students multiple attempts to get the correct answer.  If I setup a Canvas quiz as homework I want them to work the problems until they have perfected them.  However, they tend to balk at this idea if they have to keep re-doing (or keep putting in the answers) for the problems they already got correct.  They should only have to do re-work the problems they got incorrect.

It is a feature all publishers use for their homework websites (Web Assign, Connect Math, etc.).  I would really appreciate it being incoprorated to Canvas!

Thank you!

Katie

katrina_nagle
Community Member

Yes!  I think this feature is extremely important for math classes!!!

jnelson5
Community Novice

This is vital to encourage students to revisit questions which they have not answered correctly. I teach ESL. In the quizzes that I have created, students listen to a piece of audio and then write what they have heard.  Typically, they are writing 3 to 5 words for each of the 7-10 cloze items. If there is a spelling mistake or an extra space, CANVAS identifies the answer as incorrect. Fair enough. But why should students have to go back and fill in all the correct responses when they opt for a new attempt? It adds to the level of frustration, lowers the motivation to make a new attempt, and impairs the learning (in this case, language learning) process.  This revision needs to be a high priority!

john_williamson
Community Contributor
Author

Well said!!!!

Community Novice

Agree 100%. Students get sick of doing the same questions they already got right.  Just let them fix the incorrect ones  please.

jnelson5
Community Novice

I don't understand why this change has not been implemented.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 8:21 AM, 9927440@cherokeek12.net <

stale_heggset
Community Novice

I just posted this as a new idea, but was noticed that this could be the same as this old idea. This is what I suggested::

Let it be possible for a student to improve his work in an already submitted test, by making Canvas to allow the test to be reopened by the student with their responses from previous attempt. As of today, when the student has finished writing, both on assignment and test, the student may "lose" the parts he wishes to retain from the previous sumition.   The test object allows you to combine multiple choice and open tasks. Very good! All in all, this can be used as a set of tasks for the pupil, where the questions are linked and based on each other. This can for example be very useful if you have elementary school students and want to give them questions due to their levels of reading ability.

Think for yourself, what if a student finds out that he just wants to correct a comma in one of the seven questions in the test. He therefore clicks on "Retry the Quiz," but gets very sad when he realises that every answers his has submitted is gone/blanked out just to correct this comma.

Yes, I know the auto storage feature, but I also know the young students' urge to click on buttons. Or it may just be that an adult (teacher or parent) looks through the student's work and wishes to help the student to a better answer. 

This option would help us a lot!

stale_heggset
Community Novice

My point here is to combine multiple choice with more open questions using the essay type of question, where you can ask a pupil reading a text in one question, and writing answers to open questions. Some of this questions cannot be corrected by the system, but by the teacher. The questions build on each other. By having these in the same quiz, it is possible for a teacher to have an over all view and give a specific and meta pedagogic respons at one place. 

It is therefor important that the work the pupils have done in the essay parts of the quiz is brought forward to the next attempt, so that he can improve his text without loosing what he has already done well.

kaw
Community Participant

Let's not populate questions with correct answers when the next attempt is shown as we may have algorithmic questions.