[New Quizzes] Delete quiz attempts

When averaging quiz attempts or when using "latest score" for a quiz, it would be helpful if instructors could delete a quiz attempt by a student. If there is a glitch, an inaccurate/ incomplete attempt shouldn't be allowed to hurt the student's grade.

In the Moderate quiz screen, clicking on a student's name shows their attempts. When viewing an attempt, there can be a button to either delete/ remove the attempt, or to not count its results.

41968_Quiz_attempts.pngQuiz_attempts.png

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

140 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space.

plaidradish
Community Member

Well, at least they are not archiving us and forgetting about us. That's something, I guess.

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

I know a lot of people have upvoted this request, but I guess I'm going to add a contrarian voice here...

I really do not support the idea of allowing teachers to delete student content, as that sets up more potential for arguments between students/faculty and support staff about whether a student submitted something, a teacher maliciously deleted it, etc.  If deletion is allowed, it needs to be very clearly stated on the screen that teacher deleted, and the attempt should be kept on the back end and able to be viewed/restored by an admin.  I like that Canvas currently keeps all student submissions (with the one caveat of an admin being able to delete a file upload, but even then the submission is saved).  

Since the problem appears to be around grading policies and which attempt to keep, maybe instead of a delete option we could have an "ignore attempt for grading purposes" option?

-Chris

plaidradish
Community Member

Reply to @chriscas:

I'm not sure that "contrarian" applies, here. This appears to be a suggestion of methodology for the developers, with which most participants in this thread would concur.

• For one, you have not deliberately stated a justification for Canvas to ignore what is being requested in this thread.
  • More importantly, the concern about retaining all attempts in the record has been acknowledged in the discussion, prior, even to the point of sarcasm (teachers deleting quizzes "willy - nilly"), acknowledging the childish nature of accusing professors of ethical breaches.

Not that I'm naïve enough to think that all instructors are flawlessly honest, but I've read most of these thread responses, and I believe several posts have addressed the obvious requirement of an ethical implementation.

It could be mistakenly presumptuous of me, here, but perhaps this comment was just feigned "contrarianism," in an attempt to elevate forum status and promote a "community champion" to the next level? If so, please consider removing or revising your post, so it doesn't cloud the importance of this concern by appearing to present a counter argument? ... especially when you've only offered additional support for our concerns,

In a spirit of progress, not dissension, 

J. F. 

AkwasiOpoku-Dak
Community Participant

I also support this idea. I hope the folks at instructure realize that when an idea like this is open for 7 years it makes it hard to believe that posting to these forums is a good use of time.

bhaus
Community Explorer

Please add this feature. Especially in the time of online learning when kids power is going out in the middle of the quiz and they start a new session before you can re-open the old quiz.

thomas_maerke
Community Participant

Canvas, please add this feature. 

There are a whole bunch of smart people who thoughtfully considered the instructional implications of this request, found this Idea Conversation (which was probably a Feature Idea back when you all still allowed the up-voting), and added their thinking. 

Is there anything else we can do to advocate for this possibility, at least in New Quizzes?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

DrAJP
Community Participant
Problem statement:

Why isn't there a way to fully delete a quiz attempt? This seems like a very basic 101 feature that Canvas doesn't have. Such a feature is important for so many pedagogical reasons.

Proposed solution:

Why isn't there a way to fully delete a quiz attempt? This seems like a very basic 101 feature that Canvas doesn't have. Such a feature is important for so many pedagogical reasons.

User role(s):

instructor