[New Quizzes] Group Quizzes

I propose the ability to make a quiz a group quiz, like you can for assignments. As a course gets larger instructors would like the ability to automate the activities to include more students and not have to rely on TAs to get things done - we also think this would save in-class time. We realized that not all students are bringing devices to class and it would help if a group quiz would allow one student to submit a quiz he/she has submitted for a group.

To sum up:

- group quiz

- all students would receive credit as it is a group activity

- just like a group "assignment"

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

99 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community. Because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

rexj
Community Participant

Thank you, @KristinL 

So glad to see this re-open. Group quizzing is very important for our instructors practicing TBL. Very much want to see this implemented in New Quizzes.

This idea, about multiple attempts with penalties is also very important for TBL.

karen_harris1
Community Participant

This feature would server so many courses, in all modalities.  It is especially valuable for anyone incorporating TBL in their instruction.  I am glad you will keep it as a feature to develop for New Quizzes.  I imagine it would encourage many more instructors to move to implementing New Quizzes.

APreimesberger
Community Novice

I will gladly raise my hand, wave it around, and jump up and down to vote on this!  Within my classes, I have multiple "groups" of students who I would love to assign stuff to just that group.  Trying to select/type dozens and dozens of students for each assignment/submission task is not only tedious, but fraught in error as Canvas isn't the best always at it.  My only other option is to have their gradebooks flooded with tasks, quizzes, and such that do not pertain to those students.  It is hard to be upset with them for not completing a task when I have a hay pile for them to sort through for their needle.

rojask
Community Explorer

This would be a useful feature if added. My team has had instructors request this functionality, and we can only provide workarounds currently.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

baldwinsh
Community Participant
Problem statement:

We have courses where the instructor wants students to complete quizzes as a group. Currently we have students meet as a group and either 1) Take the quiz together or 2) Have one person take the quiz and then the score is applied to everyone in the group. We have problems with option 2. In some cases individuals take the test individually and figure out which questions are wrong and tell the group. Another issue is that there isn't a bona fide paper trail. Is there a way to set up quizzes so that they can be done in a group? This isn't a one-off type of situation as we have multiple courses that like to use group quizzes. Some of our instructors use Team Based Learning. It would be nice if we could have students take a quiz individual (an iRAT) and then take the same quiz (or very similar) as a team (tRAT). The challenge with Team Based Learning is that the iRAT and the tRAT scores for each person need to be averaged together for a final score and Canvas can't do that -- yet. But if you could find a way to create a quiz as a group, that would be awesome!

Proposed solution:

Please create an option where quizzes can be done as a group. Talking out the answers to a quiz can actually improve understanding and also teaches students to be collaborators and team players. Research from other universities has shown that students actually learn more and perform better when they can talk things out. It also strengthens relationships in class which in turn improves motivation and class retention. For an example of this type of research, read https://nobaproject.com/blog/2017-01-09-want-your-students-to-learn-more-test-them-in-groups

User role(s):

designer