[New Quizzes] - Moderate Page Reflect Who Quiz is Actually Assigned to

I have seen many ideas about the Moderate page in New Quizzes but not seen this mentioned.  In classic quizzes, if you cross-list a course and then only assign the quiz to a section, then when you go to moderate, you only see the students it is assigned to.  Same situation in New Quizzes, the moderate area shows ALL students but only gives data on the students it is assigned to.  The problem is this is where you go to assign extended time/accommodations so it appears you can make the change there but in reality you must make the change in the exam they are assigned.  While this might seem obvious, since the ability presents itself, it is confusing instructors.

Today we had an instructor who used the same exam but copied it 3 times so that there was one for each section and then used the available from and until times to restrict when they could access it (she really could have done this without copying it but she did what she did).  When she opened the one only assigned to section 1, she could see all the students in the course listed so she made the time adjustments to all the students that received accommodations in all three sections, thinking it is the same exam so why not.  The problem is that only section 1 was really assigned that exam so none of the students in the other sections received their accommodations.  Can the moderate area only reflect the students assigned the exam like it does in classic? 

5 Comments
mmgrady
Community Member

You raise a good suggestion here. Thank you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

RebeccaMoulder
Community Contributor

@nwilson7 I agree that it would be helpful to see only the assigned students in the Moderate page for New Quizzes. If the instructor had added the extra time or a time multiplier by editing the students' "Accommodations" rather than using the "Moderate" link next to their names, the extended time would have been available for the other quiz copies. Applying an accommodation for a student will extend their time on all future New Quizzes. Using the "Moderate" button will apply the extended time only to that specific quiz. 

nwilson7
Community Champion

Thanks @RebeccaMoulder !  I am not sure the reason for this but our accommodation policy is that the student must request their accommodation for each exam.  We are a college so I know they are trying to put a little more control in the students' hands, but otherwise I have no idea why.  I had to have a meeting with our Student Disability Services office when the Accommodations option became available as it does not match policy.  At this time, we are suppose to continue using only the Moderate area.  When we completely kill off Classic Quizzes, I think I will revisit this with them to see if maybe this can change as it would save lots of issues.  Thanks again!

Nick

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme