[New Quizzes] Rich Content Editor (RCE) for Matching Question Types

The Rich Content Editor (RCE) is available to use in *most* quiz question types, but not Matching questions. A lot of our instructors would like to use images, or bold/italicize text, or use other options in quiz answers, and without the RCE they are not able to do that. It needs to be available to use in ALL quiz questions types.

As an example, some of our IT instructors would like to be able to use Matching questions, and have students match an icon with a term/definition. Without being able to use the RCE for the answer spaces, this is not possible.

Please consider making the RCE available for ALL quiz question types.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

88 Comments
ellenbcutler
Community Contributor

While I had only imagined images/videos on one side, I unquestionable see the value of one or the other on both sides. 

sharon_mcneil
Community Novice

This is the first use I thought of and I am so glad others have too!  I want to use it so students can match artwork to the artist that created them.  It would be such a great tool to help students develop their visual literacy.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I used images in matching questions all the time when our district was using Blackboard LMS. Best pedagogical practice encourages lessons that are accessible from multiple intelligences. Assessments should be similarly accessible too.

ellenbcutler
Community Contributor

I cannot access this #FocusGroup:DRAFTFeatureIdeaSpace so I have no idea what is going on. I do know that improvements in the #rce and a simple matching question that allows images, video and audio is not showing up anywhere on that "to do" list Canvas has. It feels like Canvas has deep-sixed this idea and that is disturbing. A number of members including myself have cited other platforms (BlackBoard, Moodle, etc.) that have this matching feature and we are all wondering why, if the programming is that widespread and well understood, we don't have it on Canvas. 

ellenbcutler
Community Contributor

I am not sure what any of this means. I tried following the links and all it appears to me is the improvements in RCE are simply not on the docket. I would really like to understand the process but everything is written in such techno-jibberish so an ordinary person like myself just can't participate. :smileyconfused:

jason_english
Community Novice

My school has just moved to Canvas. I think we should have stayed with Moodle when I could make these types of quizzes in a few minutes. 90 minutes later and the kids will do this questions in 1 minute! 
Are there people actually making these additions to Canvas? This was voted on years ago. If this was the Moodle someone would have coded a solution and shared it with the community!

jason_english
Community Novice

And is there a way to random shuffle drop down options. It seems they only appear as I type them in the list. 
This makes it pretty easy for students to work out the answer on future attempts without even reading the answers, they can just remember it is the second option or third option?

angelah_meekey
Community Member

As a Math teacher, I would love the ability to place images of graphs (like slope) in a matching question instead of making multiple questions.  The same is true for science and the many graphs that we use.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

You can see from the paucity of responses here that the Canvas development team won't prioritize this class of features to relieve the tedium of their users. There are just so many work-arounds that can be used. On the whole, however, I'm glad our school district is using Canvas rather than any other LMS.

It's just sad that Canvas could be so much better...

nander55
Community Novice

Yes!  Being able to use exponents (superscripts) and subscripts for chemistry, physics, and math in any question type answers besides multiple choice and multiple answers is needed.  The current answer cannot even handle pasting in more complicated text like most other web-based programs can - even if they do not have an integrated rich content editor.