[New Quizzes] New Quizzes - include pictures in Matching and Categorization

I'm really pleased with most of the new quiz engine, except for a glaring flaw: Matching and Categorization-type quizzes not having the rich text editor enabled for question/category and answer fields. Back when we thought we'd be in the building in the fall, my colleagues and I prepared work including various sorting and matching activities. I'm trying to convert as much as I can to Canvas quizzes for remote learning, but not being able to use pictures in the question-answer pairs is a major roadblock, as we're a special education classroom in which many of the students have very low reading skills. We try to use a combination of pictures and text instead of text-only whenever possible.

Having the rich text editor enabled in all fields for Matching and Categorization quizzes, so that users can embed images into question-answer pairs themselves and not just the prompt, would help users to make content more accessible to students. It would also be more consistent with other question types such as Multiple Choice/Multiple Answer that have rich text enabled in the answer fields. Is this already on the agenda for the future, by any chance? If not, I would like to recommend that it be considered for future inclusion.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

39 Comments
JackSnoeyink
Community Member

I've seen requests for this feature from 2015.  
This definitely should have been part of the New Quizzes redesign.

Elkana
Community Explorer

I would have to agree that the Rich Editor is a must for all fields for Matching and Categorization. This will also enable adding images. Thank you

MarleyRoss
Community Member

Please add this, this is such a necessary function for large matching questions. 

SoonerAlum
Community Member

As the site "Canvas expert", I have teachers asking for work-arounds for the lack of images.  Many are resorting to Google Forms. The other instructional coaches and I would love to have a Rich Text Editor available for images in Categorization and Matching, at the very least. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristieCoffman
Community Member
Problem statement:

I am a world language teacher. In a matching quiz, we would like to be able to insert images into the boxes so that they can be matched with the proper vocabulary word. Rather than "apple= la manzana" a picture of an apple = la manzana

Proposed solution:

Please develop an insert image button for each matching box (not just the question stem box)

User role(s):

admin,instructor

pjm17
Community Member
Problem statement:

For some of my tests, I need to use pictures or images in matching questions. Currently, that feature is not available. The go-around where you use the multiple choice questions is time-consuming to make and also makes the quiz look inordinately long.

Proposed solution:

For fine arts classes, the use of images is very important for questions about lighting perspective, painting techniques, and tools. It should not be difficult to include the ability to upload images and pictures on matching lists; it should be close to the same process that already is available on multiple choice questions.

User role(s):

instructor

RosaliaDeLeon
Community Member
Problem statement:

Is there a possibility to develope the Matching questions so we can upload images to the options?

Proposed solution:

In physics we need to match images with images, for example a real life situation with the corresponding Free Body Diagram

User role(s):

instructor