[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
jorge_garcia
Community Member

Canvas people:

Would you please address the concern about partial credit expressed in previous comments by all these wonderful clients/customers/instructors?

I wonder if the directors of Canvas or the people in charge, dislike mathematics, you Canvas people have had concerns of the same type for more than 7 years and you do not fix them or address them.  Similar forums discuss  several issues for more than 5 years.

What is it?  What do we have to do to make you understand that these are valid concerns.  For instance, I left other comments regarding new features regarding quizzes for math instructors such as adding more "math-typing" in some problems, or perhaps adding more possibilities to the "formula-question".        It seems to me that you have some bias against math, deep, very deep.

I know it will be about 10 years until there is a change of attitude and you may, may possibly address these concerns.

thirstein
Community Member

The categorization question option in New Quizzes NEEDS to be updated to allow partial credit.  With on-line learning the new norm, use of electronic assessments are in greater use and making this change would not only be "teacher-friendly" but also "what's best for students" as they would get immediate feedback on their work.  It is too disheartening for a student to see such an inaccurate, low score result.  Canvas must make this a priority.  Thanks.

wakimsu
Community Participant

How is this even a discussion?  This is such a very basic functionality.

dvoorhees
Community Member

I REALLY like the categorization, ordering and matching questions, and I think that it can bring some REAL change to exams,  However, I cannot, at this point, use them because there is no partial credit.  It is not fair to have the questions graded as all or nothing.  Please add partial credit to these question types.

Thanks!

mvonniebuehland
Community Member

Fix this problem for goodness sake!

latk
Community Member

Partial credit for the various all or nothing question types in New Quizzes would be a good improvement.

khahn1
Community Participant

This is a two year old request, and this is ridiculous that this hasn't been dealt with yet. It's extremely disappointing to be using a quiz that is lacking such an important feature. The point of having an auto-graded quiz is to give students accurate and immediate feedback, however with this issue, it doesn't save either of us time. I have to go in and manually adjust each one. Deal with this!!!!!

smithkyle
Community Member

Ditto to the comment immediately above by @khahn1. I'm coming to find that "new quizzes" isn't really that new, and yet it still lacks mission critical features for teachers, who are the actual end user.

doyle07
Community Member

Please change the system settings to allow partial credit for categorization and matching questions in New quizzes. Students should not miss out on all their points because the system is not set up to allow partial credit.

JoeBattistelli
Community Explorer

Yes please! Partial credit is great!