[New Quizzes] Warning If New Quizzes Points Possible Differs From Question Point Totals

Feature Request:  Pop up a warning when navigating away from editing a quiz to give instructors a chance to change the total points that are in the gradebook.  The warning should be similar to one that appears with Rubrics to say the totals are different, do you want to leave them that way or change it.

Why: Currently, in New Quizzes the instructor is asked to add a point total when it is first created prior to building the quiz. If you left the total at 0 or set it at some other total, the grade book shows the points possible as 0.  As you build the quiz and assign points to each question, the editing page shows the total points in the top left menu of the editing page.  For example, if you have 30 questions and each is worth 1 point, the page shows 30pts.  However, the total points possible in the gradebook for the quiz is still showing the initial total created, in this example 0.  To change this, you have to go into the initial edit screen and override the total score.  If students have taken the quiz before the discrepancy is changed, then the instructor has to regrade the quiz to get the points they earned to populate the gradebook.  

Added to Theme

24 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

camille_shea
Community Member
Problem statement:

When you first make a new quiz, the first page is where you set the due date, points, etc. Then you have to click build to do the questions. I do not like that it does not adjust the total points based on how many questions and points assigned. I don't always know how many points that I want an assignment worth when making the quiz ahead of time. When I click "return" to go back to the main page of the quiz where the points are at, the return button takes me back to the quiz page (that lists every quiz that I have). Then I have to search for the quiz again, adjust the points and save/publish. I think this is too many steps that are not convenient.

Proposed solution:

I really wish that the total points would adjust based on the questions/points assigned to each in the build section. For example, when I made questions on the build section, they did not add up to the total points that I put on the main front page. So, it made each question worth decimals instead of a whole point. I didn't realize at the time that the total points didn't adjust automatically. I would like for the "return" button to take me back to the first page of that quiz (where the title, points, due dates) are located. Or, you just add a tab at the top to return to the main page. This would be more convenient.

User role(s):

instructor