[Pages] Differentiated Pages

Canvas should support differentiated Pages. Similar to differentiated Assignments, Pages could be set to be visible to certain groups of students. This would allow for the creation of diverging tracks or branches within a single course.

At UCLA Extension, we're currently developing a Canvas training course for new instructors. We have included two groups of instructors in one course: 1.) Online/Hybrid instructors, and 2.) Web-facilitated instructors. By necessity, we've designed our course so both groups move through the same content. However, if we had differentiated Pages, then we could tailor our content to each group's specific needs and enjoy the benefits of keeping them in the same course (discussion, collaboration, grading etc.).

There is a similar suggestion for differentiated Modules for which I have voted in support:

Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

56 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission  @kgordon ​. This idea will be open for voting during the ext voting period. Smiley Happy

bacherts
Community Contributor

I am in agreement for this feature request.  We have faculty who teach an embedded honors or service learning section with the regular students and being able to only release a module or pages to just that section would be desirable.

Heidi_Ross
Community Novice

This would be quite helpful for our SPED students, our multi-age classes, and Concurrent enrollment classes operating online or in person.

kgordon
Community Novice

Thank you for your support and comment, Heidi! I need only 22 more votes to break the 100 vote threshold. I'd appreciate it if you could drum up any support from your colleagues and friends. 

Happy Holidays!

-Kevin

kgordon
Community Novice

Thank you for your support and comment, Samuel! I need only 22 more votes to break the 100 vote threshold. I'd appreciate it if you could drum up any support from your colleagues and friends. 

Happy Holidays!

-Kevin

bacherts
Community Contributor

You got it  @kgordon ​ - sending it now - looks like we just need 5 more!

Sam

buellj
Community Contributor

We have quite a few manually cross-listed sections where the instructors merge sections for convenience to manage content easier - this kind of capability will definitely help!

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Why not organize the class takers in groups, and put the pages there?

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The customization of a learning pathway is something we are researching.  My colleague, Deactivated user , is leading our thinking on competency-based education, which would include a process for the customization of content/content availability for groups of students as well as individual students. This process is likely in the long-term.  I will defer to Deactivated user​ to comment any further, but know we are looking into this.

Kind regards,

Jason

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

As Deactivated user​ mentioned, this is something we will likely consider down the road. However, we do not anticipate including this functionality for the next 12-18 months. There is a better chance that we will increase functionality in Modules prior to pages. Thanks for the all the feedback! Stay tuned for updates.