[Pages] Differentiated Pages

Canvas should support differentiated Pages. Similar to differentiated Assignments, Pages could be set to be visible to certain groups of students. This would allow for the creation of diverging tracks or branches within a single course.

At UCLA Extension, we're currently developing a Canvas training course for new instructors. We have included two groups of instructors in one course: 1.) Online/Hybrid instructors, and 2.) Web-facilitated instructors. By necessity, we've designed our course so both groups move through the same content. However, if we had differentiated Pages, then we could tailor our content to each group's specific needs and enjoy the benefits of keeping them in the same course (discussion, collaboration, grading etc.).

There is a similar suggestion for differentiated Modules for which I have voted in support:

Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

56 Comments
Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I agree, Jeff.   Now that we can add a Page to the students' To Do list and calendar, it makes sense that it could be assigned to specific sections.     I can't seem to find a separate Idea for this -- I wonder if a separate idea would need to be created?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Hildi_Pardo ‌, my interpretation of this idea is that differentiation by section is inherent (although not specified) in the description.

Steven_S
Community Champion

You can (sort of) do this with mastery paths. Once you turn that feature option on, each page will have an option to "allow in mastery paths."  With that box checked  You will just need a graded quiz (put into an assignment group worth 0% of the grade).  Design the quiz to one simple question that lets the students self-identify which path they are on, and identify one of the responses as "correct."  The mastery paths option lets you assign content by the total points earned on the quiz, so you can assign some pages for the group that earned points for a "correct" answer and other pages for the group that earned no points for an "incorrect" answer.  (I would also use the quiz settings to hide both the student's own response and the correct responses to avoid confusing students about what is the "correct" group after they submit.). 

I say "sort of" because due dates do not appear on the student view of anything assigned by mastery paths.  This means that everything will be shown to students in one long mixed up and undated list on the syllabus page and "to-do" list. Fixing that is already proposed here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8543-friendlier-mastery-paths 

It would also be a lot more efficient if an instructor action could assign the correct initial path by section or group, instead of relying on a quiz.

am_jagusztyn
Community Novice

You had me until "one long mixed up and undated list", but thanks for the concept!

lba
Community Novice

I agree - if this differentiation is possible for sections as well - and not just groups.

teresa_georgopo
Community Novice

YES, PLEASE! Differentiated pages for modules, groups, and sections! 

kerry_abbott
Community Novice

Yes!!!  I can then have my course tailored to each students needs!  This would be fantastic. 

jshen723
Community Novice

Will this idea come back up? With COVID-19 this would be an AMAZING feature that many people do not realize they need. 

asmith321
Community Member

I see you suggested this in 2015....and it still ins't a feature.  I would LOVE to have this as well!

akottmeyer
Community Member

Yes, this! 5 years later, can we please get this feature?