Pagination for Courses List (Admin)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Canvas should paginate the course list in the admin console. To say "There are too many courses to show . . . Please use the finder" can be and often is useless. Why not a "Next-->" button? What if I am not looking for a specific course e.g what if I want to count all of the xyz courses? What if I want to do screen captures to get an alphabetical list of the courses for a term? The way it is set up now is a really poor design.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14284-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-03-10 .

56 Comments
carrie
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Being able to go to Settings right from Admin is great! I would surely miss that. Often I go in to tweak a Course Setting or manually add a Section or modify a Section date. Without the Settings link it would take a few seconds to have the home page load then click the course menu (or type /settings in the URL).

Speaking of typing destination in the URL...

I rely on Canvas course_id quite a bit as an Admin. If I want to make quick mods to a group of courses I like being able to just change the course_id in the URL. For example, if I have a course "section" in English and one in Spanish and each "section" has its own course site (not cross-listed), then I'll need to add an Announcement to each course. If I know the course_ID I can just mod the URL to go from Announcements in one course to the Announcements in the other. So I wonder, would revealing the course_ID in the table be of use to anyone?

Carrie

asatkins
Community Novice

Oh, that's a good thought. We usually harvest canvas course ID en mass from the provisioning report or on a micro level from clicking on a few courses. It would be pretty great to see the Canvas course ID globally in the UI. I don't think it would have to be sortable (at least for us, we don't really care in what order the feed from the SIS created them), but it would be nice if it was easy to select/copy/paste.

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you all for your input. It looks like as a group we agree that the most important information would be: SIS ID, Course Name, Teacher Name, # of Students, and a link directly to the course settings. I will work with design to update the wireframes for this project, and I look forward to delivering this feature in the next six months.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Wow!! That would be AMAZING! Thank you Deactivated user!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I like your panda, Cosme.

bsimkins
Instructure
Instructure

I posed a similar question on this idea,

When you are searching for a specific course, what are you try to accomplish?  Finding the course is the first step, but what are you looking to accomplish after that? Thanks!

bgibson
Community Champion
  • Teacher Name should be a link shortcut to "message" the teacher.
  • # Students should be a link shortcut to the list of students (as clicking on People from a course menu).
  • SIS ID is more important to me than Course Title for course listing purposes
  • Using an A-Z menu for course listing |A|B|C|D|E|F...if listing course by title.
Jeff_F
Community Champion

With a term start each month I would very much appreciate the ability to filter by term (4-digits) and then by course prefix.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Generally speaking as an admin, after finding a course I usually enter the course to check on something. I may use the specialized link to course Settings to avoid a click; I never use the Statistics link.

AA1234
Community Participant

Any update on when this might be implemented?