Pagination for Courses List (Admin)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Canvas should paginate the course list in the admin console. To say "There are too many courses to show . . . Please use the finder" can be and often is useless. Why not a "Next-->" button? What if I am not looking for a specific course e.g what if I want to count all of the xyz courses? What if I want to do screen captures to get an alphabetical list of the courses for a term? The way it is set up now is a really poor design.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14284-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-03-10 .

56 Comments
AA1234
Community Participant

In September 2015 the comment was that it should be available in 6 months - can we get an update on when this feature will be available?

Thanks!

macaulayl
Community Member

It seems to me that some of the comments in this thread are asking for more than what the original request was.  I am not saying I wouldn't like some of what is here, but I really just want to eliminate the "There are too many courses to show . . . Please use the finder" and have a link to go to the next page of results.  If I have a 100 courses or 1000 courses in an account I should be able to see them!  Period. 

I get that there is a limit to how many records show on a page, but pagination so you can see everything seems like a no-brainer to me.

Can someone update us on the timeline for implementation?

khirschmann1
Community Novice

It seems I'm a little late to the game, but since this was promised for 6 months ago, Instructure is clearly taking their time making this perfect (ahem).  However, I wanted to add my $.02 for what it's worth.  One important piece of information you left off was term.  However, even more important that that is the ability to filter by published/unpublished courses.  I would like to see all of the unpublished courses in a semester so I can target communications to those professors.  There is already a filter to eliminate 0 enrollments, so this additional filter shouldn't be very difficult to implement.

khirschmann1
Community Novice

Or infinite scroll.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
dschober
Community Novice

Chris...I can't believe I would ever say that I miss the eCollege admin side.  It seemed so archaic, but it was so functional.  I mean, let's talk about adding a single user to multiple courses in a term by clicking check boxes... and then immediately emailing that user of their new access.  *sigh*

dschober
Community Novice

Ean, you just made me sad.  I'm new to Canvas, and the idea of community driven results, but this is what I've seen time and time again in my short stint here.  Please contribute to my idea in the Meta Community to lower Admin requested features: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7517?commentID=68546#comment-68546

dschober
Community Novice

I'm chiming in because I don't want to see this stuck on the Product Radar.  You simply can't see all the courses in your account.  There is no workaround, but this isn't considered a bug...it was a design decision.  This limitation makes it difficult for account or sub-account/school-level admins to manage their courses.  At this current time, you can search with a 'blank' search and it will show most all of the courses.  Up to 200 there is a URL hack you can use.  After 200, you have to run a report and scroll through the .csv without any link to the course itself.   

The solution has been presented here, specifically in the title.  All you would need is a button to 'load more' while keeping in mind that it may take a while to load, or to have a index of pages at the bottom so that you can move onto the next list of courses in that account.  Either are a common feature that most web pages have.  More information in each course would be nice, but I don't want this to sit on the radar because we're throwing extra ideas out there.  I just want to see the basic functionality of what is there improved. 

I'm not sure all of you are aware, because it wasn't mentioned here, but there is a Chrome browser extension, Admin UI Tweaks for Canvas, that doesn't solve the problem...but helps.  This extension makes small changes to the Canvas LMS admin interface. These changes currently include the following:

• Add Term SIS ID to terms listing page
  • Add Account SIS ID's to all account and sub-account listing pages
  • Add SIS Import details utility
  • On a section details page, if section was cross-listed, add text referring to the original course
  • On course listings, a direct link to Analytics and People per course
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

If this idea interests you, you may be interested in recent updates found in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-12-10)

inspire
Community Novice

This has to be the first LMS software I have encountered where the system effectively says, I'm going to show you the status of a large number of courses in detail, but not all of them! I'm not even going to let you run a report on it! How arbitrary is that?

If, for instance, management want statistics on the number of courses in a department that are published, have student enrolments, content and assignment activity, Canvas will only permit the top down view of 50 results from the sub-account view of courses, and the bottom up view (reverse order)  of the same. If the number of courses in that department are, say 200, I will have 100 unlisted courses that Canvas instructs me to search for. Search under what name? And even if I happen to know the names of the entire cohort of 100 unlisted courses, I have to repeat the search 100 times. Is this an April Fool's joke played early?

I have used several LMS systems in my past 10 years and they all have a variety of pagination options, from "next".. to "further information", to an ellipsis with more options such as downloading csv files if the pagination options don't suffice.

This should not be a poll for popular opinion, to hopefully lead to a development change 1 year from now. It should be a mandatory fix!