[Rich Content Editor] Paste Images into Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I want the ability to paste images directly into Canvas from the clipboard. An example: I want to use Windows Snipping tool (or any other screenshot tool) to create an image. I then want to CTL-C to copy it and CTL-V to paste it into a quiz or assignment or content page in Canvas. Another example would be Copy-Pasting from a Word document into Canvas. This site is able to do it! I just did it below! Let's get this implemented in Canvas!

117878_pastedImage_1.png117878_pastedImage_1.png

Added to Theme

112 Comments
amie
Community Member

The fact that we cannot easily add an image to any part of the course shell is extremely frustrating. All social media allows for image sharing. It is a basic function of our digital life. But, for some reason, Canvas will only let you link to url's or go through a very painful file upload process to allow an image to be shared.  I am so frustrated.

robert_byng
Community Explorer

Ditto. Agreeing whole heartedly for two yrs.

sdjones1
Community Novice

Gotta love

"This idea was considered when developing our product plan for Q3 2019 and is not expected to influence development within Canvas at this time."

Who did the considering?  Don't think it was practicing professional educators.

davidrcrockett
Community Explorer

So, I just tried to do this and it did paste an image in a Page and a quiz question. Did they just change this? Or is it because we have Cidilabs in our district? This is saving me soooo much time than making a image quiz in the past.

rebyers
Community Member

If I recall my own attempt at this correctly - it would appear to work on my computer but not on any other. Students would see either nothing or a placeholder even though it looked perfectly functional on my system. 

davidrcrockett
Community Explorer

Ahh. I see you can't paste from snipping tool, etc... Only inputs the image from a web source.... never mind... ugh.

sdjones1
Community Novice

And this will die in committee.  Notice, if it makes the top 10%, then it gets considered.  We as the end uses get no useful say in this process.

bogardde
Community Participant

David, how did you learn that it just works from web sources? I too have had some success with copy/pasting but it was not consistent and I had not yet attempted to ascertain what makes it work versus not work. C'mon Canvas, throw us a bone! :smileycry:

davidrcrockett
Community Explorer

I copied an image and pasted it on a page. It shows up in my students course. Of course if that image's URL changes then it will go away. I am not sure if this is really a success... I really just want the snipping tool paste.

davidrcrockett
Community Explorer

Yes, very sad.