[Permissions] In Permissions, Separate "Moderate discussions (delete/edit other's posts, lock topics)" into 3 permissions

Please change each the "Moderate discussions ( delete / edit other's posts, lock topics)" from a single setting to three separate settings.

Current:

Moderate discussions ( delete / edit other's posts, lock topics)

Should become:

• Lock Topics in Discussions
  • Allow Edit Other's Posts in Discussions
  • Delete Discussion Posts

One reason for this request:

This would allow you to set TAs (or other roles) to having only the permissions needed for that role instead of none of them or all of them. For example, the ability to only edit other's post but not delete a post in discussions.

Per Cosme Salazar in More granular permissions for admins and In Permissions, Change "ADD, EDIT, and DELETE" into Three Separate Settings I have divided out the multiple functionality settings into their own requests. There are now 10 separate requests.

Comments from Instructure

We have exciting news about the first phase of the Priority: Granular Permissions‌.  The New User Interface is included in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .  Go check it out!

Added to Theme

22 Comments
buellj
Community Contributor

I'll add my vote to any feature request that splits out bundled permissions.

elisabeth_green
Community Participant

Yes, yes, yes, please!

nealc62
Community Member

This just makes so much sense, so please vote!

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi friends,

This is another great request. Since discussions are a widely-used feature, I'd like to dig into what kinds of possibilities would open up for you and your courses if we split out these permissions. What kinds of roles would you grant what kinds of permissions? And then, what kinds of activities would you do with discussions that you can't currently do? Since permissions are generally configured at the account level, would you set this up differently for different sub-accounts, or would you set this up globally for all of your courses? It would also be interesting to learn what disciplines this enhanced flexibility would benefit. Sell me on your idea! I'm listening... Smiley Happy

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Right now only teachers can do either because our teachers did not want to give both edit and delete to TAs. By splitting the permission into two we'd be able to give TAs the right to Edit a work if asked.

nealc62
Community Member

Currently, we do not enable this option. However, we routinely have one or more students moderate each class discussion, and we would enable this feature if students did not have the option to delete posts. Some doctoral faculty enable this option when asked by their students, but only do so begrudgingly for fear posts will be deleted, accidentally or otherwise. Please, let's get this idea in the works!

snugent
Community Champion

By splitting this permission we would have more flexibility in creating custom roles. Some of our faculty are not happy with the standard TA role and this would allow admins to create more specific custom TA roles for them. It would also be useful in for creating custom roles for sub-account admins as well.

kona
Community Champion

Same for us, we'd like to split this up for Teachers vs. TA's (or other similar roles).

BROEKERC
Community Novice

Rationale:  The problem is that the delete permission is bundled with the other permissions.  This is needed to assist with TAs as well as in team taught courses.  We have experienced this accidental deletion happening in our team taught courses.

cdoherty
Community Participant

Rationale for Stanford: It's important to allow TAs to edit/manage content, but to restrict the delete permission to prevent accidental deletion of content.