[Permissions] Student View Permissions

Currently the student View button for Account Admins is tied to the Course (Add/Edit/Delete) permission. Users must have this permission to have the student view button. We believe this permission should not be tied to the ablity to create/edit/delete courses since they are very different functionality. We would like the Student View be its own permission that we can set on or off for Account Admin roles. We also believe it would be benifical to have this permission for course roles giving admins the abilty to create a teacher based role that may or may not use student view. 

Added to Theme

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@wcuFerni 

Thanks for sharing this information. There is a separate Act As permission for account roles. Have you confirmed that you need to have this as well as the Course (Add/Edit/Delete) permission enabled for admins for them to be able to use Student View?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@wcuFerni  Separately, we have a conversation underway requesting the equivalent of Act As functionality for teachers: Specific "Real" student view

rpollack
Community Participant

please add!

wcuFerni
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired Yes, our IDs are currently using Act As but stated that student view is easier to work with. It also does not need enrollment in a course, which will help with Blueprint courses. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@wcuFerni Thanks for confirming that! We'll move this forward for broader discussion as a request for a separate permission.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

adehart
Community Participant

Currently in order for a subaccount admin  to access Student View they have to be given the permissions "Courses - add/edit/delete".  Can these permissions be split apart as there is the need for someone to be able to see the Student View but not create new courses?  Thanks

C_Miller
Community Member

I'm a learning technologist supporting colleagues at my institution in their use of Canvas. Course design, testing, problem solving, fixing errors and so on benefits from a streamlined workflow. I work across a multitude of courses at any one time. Seemingly unecessarily convoluted pathways through the UI are a frustration. Access to student view from the outset of accessing to a course (rather than being forced to add users) would be much appreciated here.

ku60530
Community Explorer

We currently have a read-only admin role that heads of school, heads of department, etc use to review courses in their area of responsibility. The role is not intended to allow them to modify courses but they would like to experience the course as a student does. It would be very useful to pull the "Student View" function out as a separate permission.

lstickdo
Community Participant

I would like to see the Student View permission separated from Courses-Add/edit/delete.  I have a very distributed Canvas instance, and I have a lot of Account admins who need to be able to use the student view but NOT have access to the Courses-add/edit/delete permissions. Please separate these permissions. Thanks, Lisa Stickdorn