Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
The Quiz Build page provides quiz printing options. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-08-21).

As an instructor, I want to be able to export a Canvas quiz as a PDF. This would enable me to easily print quizzes for the purpose of accommodation, for allowing a given student to take a quiz outside the timeframe established for the quiz for all other students, etc.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Pacific Union College admins

Special thanks for contributions from: Betsy Walker, John Louviere

Community Team Note: This idea remains open for voting. A virtually identical idea was moved forward for consideration in March: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7285-exporting-quizzes-into-word-or-pdf-documents  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

341 Comments
huojingyu2010
Community Novice

This feature is very much needed. As people already mentioned, some students may need the accommodation. On top of that, my school lost the internet connection more than 3 times last semester. Imagine what if it happened during the final exam?  We really need a back up plan for situations like that.

john_lee1
Community Novice

Printing quizzes and to quickly assess student learning is a useful tool in canvas.  

liam_gardner
Community Explorer

Great Idea, I think this would be valuable for visits my Tutors complete where there is little to no internet! 

marybeth_kubins
Community Novice

I agree with being able to print it out, as well.  I teach first grade and we do not have 1:1 technology.  It would be great to be able to print some out for in order to meet all student needs.

brook_kempisty
Community Novice

I think this is an amazing idea.  I am constantly trying to recreate tests on a paper form for students who need modified or paper copies of tests.  I also like the idea for the purpose of giving the test to the whole class on paper even when it was given electronically to a prior class.  I teach two-three classes per grade level and all of those are not on the same learning plane.  I think that doing this would make students more successful as well because some of them are very open about stating that they do better when they are given assessments on paper versus electronically.  

G_Petruzella
Community Champion

Hi  @brook_kempisty  and‌ everyone else -

Until Instructure implements such a feature, you might find useful this homegrown solution: a bookmarklet that converts a Quiz into a plain-HTML version which is easily printable and PDF-able:

Printable Quizzes code-snippet 

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

mwroberts1
Community Member

This would be a useful feature. I can see the need for accommodations. We could use this feature for record keeping with regard to changes made to exams before and after testing (a requirement for our program accreditation).

giacomog_sabbat
Community Novice

I think this suggestion can be beneficial to both students and teachers. It can become tedious using multiple platforms such as schoolnet and canvas for testing. By using canvas for testing platforms it helps students have one central location for all resources they need.  The referred statement above would also be helpful for students who forget their chromebooks on test day.

megane_oxendine
Community Novice

I agree with Gina Hutchens and jeremymay@msdlt.org. We are one to one now with the chromebooks and when my students either do not have their chromebooks or have accommodations where they have to have a paper test, it would be very useful to be able to export the quiz and have a hard copy of it to give to students. Also, I have experienced issues where the student's chromebook has either broke or the school or hall WiFi is not working which prevents them from being able to take the quiz on canvas. If you were allowed to export and print test the students would be able to complete test corrections, complete their own data, and have a reference to study for the final. This function would also help with showing evidence during your evaluations or EOY evaluation of different forms of assessments. 

charlenef_dougl
Community Novice

I think this is an excellent idea because I could use this for my Homebound students. I understand that students would need a visual test to look at and not feel as rushed. Homebound students would feel like they were part of the class, in my opinion, because they had an actual PDF copy of a test instead of doing EVERYTHING online.