Require resubmit for assignments

When students have done sub-par work, I often require them to resubmit the work so they can practice the skills they were lacking. As of right now, as far as I can tell, I have to create a whole new assignment for it, since I want it to show up in the tracking systems for me and for the student. Super inconvenient, given how often it comes up! Would it be possible to add a simple option for this in SpeedGrader? Basically, I'd just want to check a "resubmit" box and be given the option to set a due date, and then have it fall back into the usual tracking systems for me and the students.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-03-20)

28 Comments
mje
Community Novice

I agree that this is a NEEDED feature. It just isn't an efficient system (for the teacher) if a teacher cannot reject a submission. There could be various reasons for this.

Reason could be that the student uploaded a wrong file, or that score was so low that a resubmission is required.

This also means that the section with due assignments is wrong for above students.

And since the idea got 150+ votes it must be a signal to Canvas that we need this. If Canvas doesn't do this I'm starting to think that this idea / voting system is a waste of our time?

Kind regards,

Michael

jling
Community Participant

I hope this can come out of archive soon, this feature would be super helpful because students don't check the comments on assignments after they turn them in unless they don't get the grade they want.  This leads to missed learning opportunities because revising is where the fog can begin to clear.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

kpaynter
Community Member

I echo others' comments above, that what is the point of us voting when things like this just sit and/or get sent back and forth to "development" "on the table" "off the table" or whatever. This is common sense and good pedagogy - if students turn in subpar or incorrect work, there needs to be a button that says "request resubmission from student" so that something pops up and asks that they do it, without the need for me to send them an email or assign them a zero. 

vnchamorro
Community Member

Please come back to this--we NEED it. Especially now, we need more efficient communication between student and teacher and even clearer indications of whether or not students are meeting expectations. It is already frustratingly difficult for students to view feedback, and this seems like it would be an easy way to clearly indicate that the student is not done with that skill/task/content.

adamboyce
Community Participant

I agree that this is an important feature for deep learning. I'd love to see it applied to quizzes as well -- depending on meeting a threshold score/percentage learners are automatically required to try again. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

In SpeedGrader, instructors can reassign an assignment to an individual student and ask them to redo their submission. This change allows instructors to provide feedback and reassign an assignment to an individual student, which places the assignment back in the List View Dashboard as another assignment to complete.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-03-20).

adamboyce
Community Participant

I love that the button is there in speedgrader, for group assignments as well, but there seem to be lingering inconsistencies:

On the course homepage, the feedback given (required before you can reassign) shows a green checkmark --- obviously inconsistent with the message.

But maybe the bigger issue is that when the student navigates to the assignment itself there are NO indications that a resubmission is required...

Screenshot 2021-02-26 160735.png

Screenshot 2021-02-26 160528.png