Require resubmit for assignments

When students have done sub-par work, I often require them to resubmit the work so they can practice the skills they were lacking. As of right now, as far as I can tell, I have to create a whole new assignment for it, since I want it to show up in the tracking systems for me and for the student. Super inconvenient, given how often it comes up! Would it be possible to add a simple option for this in SpeedGrader? Basically, I'd just want to check a "resubmit" box and be given the option to set a due date, and then have it fall back into the usual tracking systems for me and the students.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-03-20)

28 Comments
llomax
Community Participant

I am finding that if you have your assignments set to unlimited attempts, the re-submit feature is not available in the speedgrader. This only functions if you have set the attempts to limited and put in a # for how many times students can submit. It really would make sense to also allow this to function with the unlimited setting as well. Help fix this please! 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@llomax This does not sound like intended behavior. The Resubmit feature is to designed work with assignments that have unlimited attempts; it will not work for assignments without due dates. Would you please submit a support case reporting what you've discovered to Canvas Support? Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

cdunn4
Community Explorer

Will the reassign assignment override the until date if one is set?

huic
Community Participant

I have just discovered the "Reassign" button. Can we consider adding two functions?

1. Enable "reassign" when instructor attaches a file as comment but has not entered additional text in the textbox.

Use case: students submit their written work in Word. I download their files and add my feedback in Word with "track changes" on, then attach my edited file. The comments are already in the attachment so I don't type additional text in Canvas.

2. With the "reassign" button, either allow instructor to change due & close date for that specific student, or bump the due/close date automatically to X days after current date (allow instructor to set X somewhere).

Use case: Often I grade after the assignment has closed (not accepting submission). Using the reassign button, I'm not sure if the due date would be automatically changed for students; so if the assignment is closed, I have to manually edit the assignment and change the due date for that individual.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@huic Thanks for the feedback. As this idea has been developed, would you please write these requests for enhancements to the new functionality as two new idea conversations after reading through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed