Restore image thumbnails in RCE

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The new RCE images feature to upload images directly is terrific, however, the release seems to have disabled the ability to view image thumbnails. The thumbnails have been replaced by a generic icon. Teachers or designers who are not familiar with the image filenames are now forced to open the files area for a thumbnail.

298245_pastedImage_1.png

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16 .

18 Comments
stale_heggset
Community Novice

Thanks for addressing this, Mark! We just had a discussion at work whether there actually were thumbnails in these folders before. Of course it was! We need the thumbnails, as neither the teachers or the students are so organized that they have labelled every picture before uploading. We all need the thumbnails back again!

I guess the cry for this will get huge when users realizes what`s happened.

kate_h
Community Participant

Totally agree with Mark and Ståle.  It is already causing problems for our teachers who are experiencing difficulty when trying to find images in their large courses.  Using the side bar just doesn't cut it when the course is large with hundreds of images - we need the thumbnails back ... please!!!  Or the side bar having the option of displaying in folders. 

The other 'loss' with the new RCE embed image feature is that it always defaults back to all folders being closed. The old RCE used to 'recall' the last folder open. It might only be a click but it saved so much time and effort ... please restore this function as well.

ramsden
Community Explorer

Ditto on the folders, I noticed that as well.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018, 5:18 PM kate.hayes@tastafe.tas.edu.au <

marion_weeks
Community Novice

Really really hoping this gets up. New feature causing big problems for us. We NEED the thumbnails!

jhodi_yovich
Community Novice

Thanks for bringing this into the forum.  The changes have made it a lot less seamless to develop the content.  If this can't be done then Kate's suggestion of the sidebar being in folders may resolve this problem.

tina_busch
Community Contributor

The removal of the thumbnails is very frustrating. Particularly for large art courses with 100s of images. I like the suggestion of adding the folder structure to the side bar. Having thumbnails saves a lot of time trying to find the right image. 

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I'm totally with you on "feature exchange" upgrade. Upgrades should be additive, and not subtract from other features that are useful to the set of users that depend on them. Was this an oversight or is this a developmental strategy?

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hello  @stale_heggset  ,

The problem is that many of the feature requests have been around for years, with apparently no implementation in sight (Allow Folders in Pages in 2016, w/1425 votes; Modules within Modules in 2016, w634 votes; Create a more simple intutive way to offer Extra Credit, w/255 votes & Mark Quiz as Extra Credit w/199 votes - both in 2015...), So, I'm not sure that an out cry will make much difference Smiley Sad. Sadly, I expect I will be spending some of my break going back and forth between Files to view thumbnails and then renaming many of my images.   

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks all for the feedback.  Please watch for an RCE project to be posted to Canvas Studio‌ soon.  This will be addressed in this priority.

schmi071
Community Novice

This one is at the top of my list also! I am also glad you all confirmed the feature was there in the past, but not there now. I thought I was making it up. The other option would be to have the thumbnails in the "File" folder (right column) or have that same folder organization in the "Images" folder.