[Rubrics] Ability to duplicate rubrics

When building rubrics on a course level, it would be helpful to have a duplicate rubric button next to the Edit and Delete options. Some rubrics are very similar and having the ability to duplicate what you already created would save time in course design to be able to easily duplicate a rubric.

38 Comments
James
Community Champion

@jlwatson1 ,

If you create a lot of rubrics, you may want to look at the Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet script I wrote. It allows you to copy/paste rubrics from a spreadsheet into Canvas. It doesn't support all of the functionality of Canvas rubrics, but it might be enough for your needs.

I've not heard much demand for people wanting to duplicate rubrics, possibly because the editing capabilities are so limited.

jlwatson1
Community Novice

Thanks for the script information!

phyllis_santacr
Community Novice

This is the number one issue I have with Canvas.  There is an need to adjust rubrics as work changes.  The work around given (copy from another course, then edit before using) does not work.  I have tried this several times.  Please make it easy to copy and edit.  PLEASE

tfilipiak1
Community Participant

Oh wow, too complex.  There has to be a better way!

monicakrogmann
Community Novice

There absolutely needs to be an option to edit rubrics without re-creating them. The ability to change a phrase to improve understanding, especially when in response to feedback from a previous iteration of the course would be so helpful! Please make editing and copying rubrics an option in Canvas! 

Steven_S
Community Champion

I agree.  I can duplicate a rubric through the edit button, by simply attaching a copy of the rubric to be duplicated.  The error message displayed when clicking edit on a duplicated rubric is misleading.  It says you cannot edit, but it means you cannot change the original rubric.  The copy gets a number added after the rubric name and after editing, it is saved as a new rubric. 

However, if I want to fix something as simple as a typo once the rubric is assigned to multiple assignments, I have no choice but to duplicate the rubric and then reassign the corrected rubric to each assignment that used the original.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi Steven, Can you go through the Step by Step of you how are duplicating?  You mention clicking Edit, then "attaching a copy of the rubric to be duplicated" -- but this isn't making sense to me; i can't see what you are describing.  If you've figured out a workaround, I would love if you could share the steps, please.  Thanks!

Steven_S
Community Champion

You already have a rubric created, so do not make a new rubric.  Use the find a rubric button instead and navigate to the rubric you want to add.  Add the rubric.  Now that the rubric is used in more than 1 spot it will present an error message if you try to edit it.  However it still let's you edit, that error really only means it will add a number to the end of the rubric title unless you edit the title yourself.

venitk
Community Champion

This would be very helpful!  In courses that have multiple writing assignments, for example, the rubric for each assignment may be pretty similar, but there may be small adjustments particular to the assignment. We had the ability to duplicate rubrics in D2L and I sorely miss that ability. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

334868_pastedImage_1.png334869_pastedImage_2.png334870_pastedImage_3.png