[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

In the process of asking our faculty to measure account-level outcomes by way of importing a rubric, we've found that for faculty using publisher LTI's (think MyMathLab or Launchpad), they aren't able to perform this task because of the inability to attach a rubric to an assignment created by the publisher LTI's. So, just another reason we need this functionality.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Woot woot!  Thanks for the update,  @Renee_Carney ​.

careysmith
Community Participant

Definitely need to be able to insert a row, edit a rubric for typos or points, etc.

gonzales
Community Novice

Is there any update on when this feature might be added? Now that we are using the LTI for Turnitin this is a huge problem for us. Faculty currently have to create the assignment and then add the rubric. Once that is done they have to edit the assignment to change it to the LTI. This takes a long time when you have 40 assignments that use Turnitin. It is also a problem that the student cannot see the rubric on the assignment.

epokryfki
Community Participant

I am ery pleased to see so much support for this idea.

Next year I am switching the grading of my courses to competency based, and the ability to have a rubric and outcomes to all assignments of my course is crucial, so I hope that by then this feature could be ready and done.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

amcanar
Community Novice

This is a common sense feature!  Also we should be able to copy and paste criterion rows--this would make it a lot quicker and easier to make minor changes between the descriptions of each criterion rather than having to re-build each row from scratch for each new criterion.

thompsli
Community Champion

I know this was suggested two years ago, but I would also use this feature (and the related idea of duplicating rows in rubrics) frequently were they available. 

I'm sure there's some wacky issue with the codebase for why this is so much harder than it seems that it would need to be, but it's kind of baffling that it's two years later and this has not been implemented.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@thompsli ‌, it's not exactly what is requested here, but have you seen these two work arounds for rubrics? They might make using rubrics in Canvas easier!

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/08/25/sorting-rubrics-made-easy?sr=search...

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8844-importing-rubrics-from-a-spreadsheet?sr=search&searchI...