[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
tslee
Community Participant

It's a pain that I can't rearrange or change order of rows in the rubric

khull
Community Member

@Ron_Bowman Thanks for pointing that out; I've added my vote.  I typically do not participate in these forums because (as this thread demonstrates) they appear to be user-pacification forums rather than anything to which the company pays any attention.

But here's hoping that one of these years, this no-brainer rubric UI issue will finally be addressed.

-K

JulieEFanning
Community Member

I also would love to reorder rubrics.  It is hard to believe that this is such a difficult fix that, after 7 years, Canvas can't figure it out or take the time.  It is like when I don't want to do something and when I finally do it, I get it done in 5 minutes and wonder what I was waiting for.  So Canvas - add this easy function.    I see there are workarounds but I don't really want to spend time figuring out how to download and redo things.  Come on, Canvas - help some instructors out here!

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@JulieEFanning 

I would really encourage you to try the sorting rubric canvancement that James wrote.  It will take maybe 2 minutes to install and start using.  It is not difficult, and you will spend less time installing and learning to use it than you would redoing one rubric.  

One user note: you have to go through the rubric navigation link and edit the rubric from that page for that sorting script to work. 

As you said in your post: "It is like when I don't want to do something and when I finally do it, I get it done in 5 minutes and wonder what I was waiting for."  That is how you feel about this user script.  In that regard.  If you do start using it and really like it, I suggest that you try some of his other scripts.  Jus go to Canvancements 

Keep in mind that if you don't like what the script is doing or don't find it useful, you can always remove/uninstall it.

dbrookes
Community Member

I would upvote if I knew how

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dbrookes -

At the top of the page is the description of the idea and 5 stars show on the left side.  Click on the star you want to vote for the idea.  the rightmost star is 5 stars.  After clicking on the star of your choice, the ones selected will turn gold.  Reload the page and you will see what your rating is for the idea below the topic (see below)

Annotation 2022-08-26 140937.png

dbrookes
Community Member

upvoted!

sis235
Community Member

It would be great if you could make edits to a rubric without having it saved as a completely new rubric. I have instances where instructors just want to change the wording or correct a typo on a rubric applied to several assignments. Right now they would cause the rubric to be saved as a new one, that then needs to be reapplied everywhere. It's really tedious and time-consuming, and is a behavior that doesn't exist in other LMS. 

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@sis235 -

From my experience, (which is a rubric applied to a single assignment) I can make changes to a rubric from the rubric navigation link which then shows in the assignment.

Now if that rubric has been used to grade an assignment I don't think it is possible to change it from the rubric navigation link.  Plus, even if it is done on the assignment, those changes may not apply to the graded assignments-you would have to check.

All of the above assumes the rubric assigned to one assignment only.  However, I would think that the number of assignments would not matter.

Is it possible that your teachers are updating the rubric on the assignment instead of from the rubric navigation link?

mcordes1
Community Participant

This seems like a very basic editing feature that would exponentially improve the functionality of creating and editing rubrics. At our institution, we have a very specific ordering of rubrics.  The workaround is if I accidentally create a row in a different location, I have to duplicate rows in the order that I want after the entire rubric is created and then, delete all the unnecessary rows. This is not easily explained to other faculty and is risky due to the high likelihood of a mistake!