[Scheduler] Scheduler recurring events

I should be able to use the scheduler to set up appointment slots for office hours for one week and then have an option for Canvas to automatically create the same schedule on subsequent weeks.

Added to Theme

87 Comments
mfeske
Community Explorer

I have been using a free tool called Youcanbook.me for years. It allows me to set up regular times for student appointments throughout the term on recurring days of the week.  It works in conjunction with various popular calendars (I use Google calendar). I can block time on days when I don't want my regular appointment times available by creating an event in Google calendar at those times and marking it busy. In Youcanbook.me I easily can specify which days of the week, which hours on those days, what date to start, what date to end, the standard time slot (for me 20 min) and write an instruction message for students to create a recurring appointment availability and signup for my students. The instructor creates a free account and a permanent link is generated (mine for example is "lastname.youcanbook.me".

I paste this link in my LMS and on my online syllabus and in the past in Blackboard where the menu was flexible, I was able to create a Make-An-Appointment menu link.  Student click on the url or link which takes them to the Youcanbook.me site for that instructor. Available times are shown in green. A student clicks on an available time slot and fills out the (editable) form to make the appointment. It shows up automatically on my Google calendar and the student gets a confirmation email with a cancellation link, if needed. The instructor can also set reminders to be automatically sent to the student.  This little program is absolutely the bomb.  You should partner with them, instead of reinventing the wheel. They have it all figured out. Thus, for me, the idea of creating appointment availability just for individual days and having to laboriously repeat that is not useful, except when I might want to tailor appointment to a particular assignment, as is indicated in the Canvas instructions.

eburns
Community Novice

Why isn't this done yet??? It's been in discussion since 2015 and it's Aug 2018? Can you (Canvas people) post an update explaining what's going on with this? I don't want to use an external tool but it's a waste of my time to type in office hours every single day of the school year. Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

alan_broder
Community Novice

Wow - so its been literally three years and this incredibly important feature is still just bouncing around among various processes and stages of thought and voting? Don’t our respective universities actually pay for this product and its support?

For the benefit of the other readers who are suffering without a viable appointment scheduler, I’ve had to take the step of personally paying for a FAR more functional service youcanbook.me<http://youcanbook.me> that integrates beautifully with most calendars and provides an elegant way for students to self-service sign up for office hours slots. I have no connection with youcanbook.me<http://youcanbook.me> other than as a so far happy paying customer (and they give a discount for educators). I can’t identify an integration with Canvas, so I just put my youcanbook.me<http://youcanbook.me> URL on my course home page.

rafe_sholer
Community Explorer

Really surprised Canvas can't do this yet. Really basic feature. 

I want to make ONE bookable appointment time available every Monday for the next year - this means inputting the info 52 TIMES!! This makes the appointment scheduler in Canvas almost useless. 

bruno1
Community Novice

I'm quite negatively surprised that this has been suggested in 2015 and, 5 years later, we still can't do it. =/

I don't know how complex it is, but it definitely makes no sense to schedule appointment groups manually, whether they're weekly or monthly. 

Google Calendar is a good reference for it, not only for the recurring events feature but also because of the easy 'click and drag' thing, to move events and appointments to other days and times.

rpayne4
Community Participant

Just had to let go of using Appointment Groups in Canvas too because there was no availability to make these recur each week. Teachers decided to go with a external tools that don't connect to Canvas because they didn't want to create new appointment groups for every single time that they needed to book this year.
Any news on when this might finally be implemented?

patrick_lollis
Community Novice

I'm adding upvote 264 to this three year request for a simple upgrade. Heading out to find another tool, but very disappointed.

melanie_sherwoo
Community Novice

Darn!  With Coronavirus and having to offer office hours for 6 different preps it took me an hour to set up the different time slots for different appointment groups and there is no button for repeating week to week, yet there is for individual events. I would think appointment groups would be the ONE place that instructors need the ability to repeat events for creating office hours.

patrick_lollis
Community Novice

Honestly, there should be a place to post your regular office hours (tutoring times) in the instructor's profile, along with a box to choose the length of each time slot. Those office hours should automatically populate to every course for the semester. It's so easy to delete the ones you don't need.