Shuffle answers at the question level

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Canvas allows the possible answers of all the questions to be shuffled, which is a great option when we want to make our quizzes more secure and avoid that students pass the answers along. Nevertheless, sometimes there are questions in which the correct answer is, for example, A and C are correct or all of the above are correct. In these cases we can't use the shuffle option.

I would like to see the ability to choose shuffling at the question level like I can in moodle.  Suppose I have 20 questions in a test and in 10 of them the answers should not be shuffled. The other 10 questions should have the answers shuffled.  The way Canvas is now this cannot be accomplished.

This was brought up before but was closed.  I'm new to Canvas and being forced to switch from Moodle.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
27 Comments
CraigOgden
Community Participant

I have NO idea what Moodle is but I agree that the questions should be shuffled.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

What a great idea! Currently, the work around to scramble questions is tedious and time wasting. This feature is really needed! Very happy for vote up on this!

iRon_Mrx

cheryl_burgess
Community Novice

I'm actually a super fan of ChiTester, a testing program developed by Weber State University. You can see it at chitester.weber.edu. Love Love Love Love ♥ ♥ ♥ it!!!!! 

You have to have a license (or be an instructor for the university) to use it. I would LOVE it if Canvas integrated ChiTester within Canvas. ChiTester on the Cloud = pretty much the same thing as heaven. Smiley Happy

So while you're revamping, seriously look at it.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Cheryl,

You've piqued my curiosity about ChiTester. Can you share a reviewer log-in credentials with me?

Thanks,

Ron

john_williamson
Community Contributor

I am not sure if this will help but if you add questions as a group the system will  put the questions in that group in a random order. Then you can add single questions from your banks.    The link below will describe how to add questions as a group.

How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions?

CraigOgden
Community Participant

This works if you put the whole test in a group. If you could put a group inside of a group then than might be a work around. If you are already using groups that this won't work.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

That's exactly the link I used to figure out how to get Canvas to shuffle questions as Blackboard does. It is a kludge, however, and I hope Instructure is fixing this in their next release of the Assessments layer of Canvas. I hope that some flavor of Regex is folded in as well—there are so many teachers in the ELA, Reading and Languages who are chomping at the bit to have Canvas grade short response questions. And I think of all the professional development opportunities to train teachers in the proper regex syntax!

Cheers,

Ron

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We will totally be doing this in the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​. Stay tuned for more...

Jason

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

tsawicki
Community Novice

Optimally Canvas quizzes would allow us to shuffle all the questions on the quiz (or not) as well as shuffle the answers on each question (or not) all from within the quiz (no need to use groups or banks).  These are very desirable test security features.