[SpeedGrader] Preserve student anonymity in SpeedGrader after posting grades

I'd like to suggest that assignments with the anonymous grading option enabled should continue to hide/anonymize student names in SpeedGrader after posting an assignment's grades. The current behavior is that after posting grades the names become visible and there is no way to hide them again. 

This is a problem for our instructors that grade anonymously. In order to prevent any grading biases from occurring throughout the semester, it would be beneficial to keep student names hidden in SpeedGrader no matter if the grades have been posted or not. 

Our instructor community relies heavily on preserving anonymity throughout the course of the class. Automatically showing student names in SpeedGrader after posting grades makes that impossible to preserve.

Added to Theme

20 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@fidalgok 

I am so sorry! The post to which I meant to link for your review is a long-standing idea under discussion at When Anonymous Grading is on, hide Student Name in... - Canvas Community . Would you read through that one? And I apologize, again, for twisting around the links. Mea culpa.

fidalgok
Community Participant

@Stef_retired 

No problem at all! I have seen that post. I actually like the idea proposed in that as well but I think this is a different situation. That's referring to hiding names in the grade book, where this idea is asking to preserve anonymity in SpeedGrader once grades have posted. I happen to think that it would be nice if they worked in conjunction but the idea of preserving anonymity in SpeedGrader on its own would be a great benefit to our users.

Given the posting guidelines of keeping ideas to one suggestion at a time, I think these are sufficiently different enough to keep them separate. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@fidalgok 

Thanks for taking the time to identify the differences. We'll keep this one going; if you would like to post the link to this one as a comment in that thread, it will enhance its visibility and further establish the distinction between the two.

Again, I apologize for wasting your time, and I am grateful for your understanding. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

kellerel1
Community Member

I second this idea!

bartonac
Community Member

I also second this idea. Given the distinctiveness of students' writing styles and the need of most professors to have more than one assignment per semester, student anonymity needs to be maintained over the course of the entire semester.

b_w_reid
Community Participant

Hi @fidalgok , This wouldn't work as well for us as our policy states that anonymity can be revealed as soon as the grade is entered. This idea would need to be optional, as different insitutions have different policies.

fidalgok
Community Participant

@b_w_reid I agree that this should be optional. Our grading policy is the other way around. By default any anonymous assignment should remain that way until the end of the semester and all final grades have been submitted. Obviously different institutions will have different needs. Maybe there could be a course or gradebook level setting that could be turned on to persist anonymity so it's a set it and forget option for people.

fagskolenitroms
Community Explorer

I also second this idea. It should be optional too.
I should also be possible to use a
 pre-assigned 4-digit exam number, rather than have Canvas assign an anonymous number to them.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme