[Student Grades] Add 'submission date' to the student grades page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas LMS

As admins/teachers, as well as for parents, the best way to see all grades for a student in a course is from the student grades page:

155050_Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 12.06.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-12 at 12.06.43 PM.png

It would be great to have an extra column showing "Submitted" time/date either before or after the "Due" column. This would give us all the necessary information to speak to a student or parent about a student's progress without having to click into each submission. This column should be blank until the student submits the assignment, adding an additional visual indicator (other than the white background) for showing something is not submitted yet. As this is the only place parent observers have to see their student's grade, it would be vital information for parents looking to make sure their student is working consistently, not putting things off and submitting them all at the end of each week/month, right before the parent checks.

For another use case, we have an advisor role that frequently speaks with parents. The parent calls in asking why their student is behind in Algebra, as they've been working in it for hours every day (which is what the student is telling the parent).

Here are different scenarios that require different parent intervention but are currently all identically displayed on this page:

1. The student worked consistently and on pace for 3 months and then have done nothing for 3 months

2. The student has been working consistently but at a pace slower than the ideal. Our students are permitted to do this as we're work at your own pace, we'd just like the parents to know if this is the case.

3. The student did not start working on this course until 3 months after the start date. They have been working consistently since then, but are still behind.

4. The student started at the beginning, did not work for several months in the middle, and is now frantically trying to catch up so they don't get caught.

As it is, all situations look the same from this page, which is the easiest way to tell progress for a specific student. It would be great to have an easy place to tell both due date and submission date for a student for all of their assignments.

28 Comments
asatkins
Community Novice

Oh, perfect, thanks for the link! I'll comment there in case anyone else would like to come join the new bandwagon Smiley Happy

KAilsa_Rowan
Community Novice

This feature would also be helpful to academic advisors/counselors who are working with a student who is not doing well. All the same troubleshooting cases mentioned by the submitted also apply at the college and graduate level (not just to elementary students and their parents)!

joel_mills
Community Novice

We MUST have an easier way of working with Late submissions in bulk.

In the Higher Education sector in the uK, there are penalties that course administrators need to apply for late submissions on a sliding scale depending on the lateness.

I know there is a separate thread discussing rules on late submission but we need to filter out and export the late submissions for each assignment. Exporting the grades from gradebook does not have this information, and the course analytics is not granular enough and there is no export function.

You got my vote!

xcotto
Community Contributor

Hi All Smiley Wink

Can we consider adding this extremely needed column?

177530_pastedImage_0.png

Smiley Wink Thanks,

Xavier

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey folks!

I've talked with some students and for the most part, they've said that adding the submission dates to the their grades page is sort of something they might use once in a while, but mostly, they wouldn't find it all that useful. So, we're looking at a way to show the submission dates by default for instructors and observers, but as an option for students.

kona
Community Champion

Deactivated user, I think the only time students would like this information is when they are questioning whether they did turn in an assignment on time or not. So for me it would be nice because the data is right there and easy to see... OR, if there's no date there then guess what, you didn't submit the assignment!

On the Instructor and Admin side of things this would be HUGELY helpful! One of the biggest reasons we wrote this programming - Assignment Submissions Report Programming​ - is that it takes FOREVER on the front end of Canvas to get a list of all assignments for a class and when a student submitted them (or not). This is important information for federal financial aid compliance (mainly for our online and hybrid students) and we had to go into EVERY assignment to see if the student submitted and if so when. Think of the number of clicks and number of pages we had to wait to load to manually get this information.

xcotto
Community Contributor

Hi Christi

Thanks for this reply, Yes we can use this as an option for instructors, TA, Observers and Account Admins as well. I think is a great Idea having it there because:

• Helps our Student Retention
  • We can Audit his/her submissions dates right away ( This info is available in the Analytics page but then again you don't have the option to Print a particular info unless you Ctrl + P the whole page.

Best Regards,

XCT

ejackson
Community Champion

Totally agree!! This is especially bad during the first 10 days of the semester when we have to check a LOT of students for the Financial Aid office. It takes a long, long time! This would be such a time saver!!

krithikar
Community Novice

My bad that I am discovering this help site and the idea page at the start of the third year into "canvas" system.  However, it would be really helpful if the actual submission date for any assignment along with the due date is included in the course grade page by which we parents get to know if any submission has happened or not and if submitted whether it has been on time.  If I am not mistaken, they had the date when the assignment was created on the grades page a year ago which is a very helpful indicator for the observer as to how much time the child has to work on assignments.  

andrew_starnes
Community Novice

Xavier, has there been any follow up to a print option for the Analytics page. Right now I have to take a screen shot of each page of the analytics report then print each screen shot.