Student view: View submissions and comments for all submissions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Right now students can only view their most recently added submission to an assignment. This means that all previous submissions to the assignment are not available to students, including feedback that the instructors have provided. This is a big problem because students are losing critical information that could help promote learning and understanding.We need to eliminate this lossylearning problem and make all assignment submissions visible to students!
193 Comments
fabianm
Community Participant

I have students working in groups on a project, and they had to submit multiple files for one part of the project. Because each person submits for the group, I had several submission with sequential submissions because they came from different students at different times. I provided feedback on all the submission, assuming that they would have access to the "previous" submission for the group project.

Now that I realize that they only have access to the feedback on the latest submission, I will have to find another way to screenshot my feedback (I'm not a fan of the annotated PDF download) and return it to the appropriate student groups. This is a HUGE inconvenience for them and for me.

In consideration of group assignments, students really need to be able to access the feedback for all their submissions.

Mark Fabian

fabianm@evangel.edu

BethCrook
Community Contributor

Oh boy, I wish I had know this wasn't possible before getting many of our faculty moving forward with a certain process.   We use multiple-draft assignments in so many situations and it's crucial for the students to be able to access all of the drafts, including feedback.    Looks like I'll be burning some hours the next week making these accessible manually.   *smacks forehead*

kona
Community Champion

@BethCrook ​, that sounds like a whole lot of NOT FUN. Smiley Sad

cparent
Community Explorer

Prioritize, please.

Thanks

msl_adm
Community Contributor

Hey, so it's been 6 months since this was archived! Can we get an updated status on this? Can we reopen this? Do we need to open it as a new request and take a new vote? Whatever we have to do, I'll do it. I'm sure I've got a forum full of supporters here as well!

This absolutely needs to be addressed. Let's make it happen.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Matthew.

The update is that the status of this idea has not changed.  We archive an idea when we know it will not happen within a short (6 month) timeframe.  However, this also means it could stretch much further.  There is not a need to resubmit or revote on this idea.  Product Managers keep close tabs on the highest voted ideas (like this one).

pete1
Community Contributor

@BethCrook  I have made this same error, we haven't implemented anything yet, but we are definitely looking at the multiple submission in the one assignment shell... If you don't mind me asking, did you end up figuring out a work around?

SethBattis
Community Contributor

@Renee_Carney ​, what's the latest on this? It's now been six months since the last update and a over a year since this was archived

I slapped together a quick LTI last night to try to accomplish this on my own… and ran into some Very Weird Things in the submissions API, with wrong previews being returned for different submission versions (case 01584819, just submitted). So… no news from Canvas and we can't do this ourselves without some bug fixes from Canvas!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@SethBattis ​

Still no change.  We keep close tabs on these ideas, so any update will posted as soon as it is available!

SethBattis
Community Contributor

Welp, the good news is that the bugs in the submissions API are, at least, predictable enough that there is an LTI out there that folks can install to let students browse their submissions. Here 'tis.​ Currently completely undocumented (whee!), but I'm hoping to fix that in the next day or two.

If others stumble across this post and want to get it set up for themselves, feel free to drop me a line for assistance.