Student view: View submissions and comments for all submissions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Right now students can only view their most recently added submission to an assignment. This means that all previous submissions to the assignment are not available to students, including feedback that the instructors have provided. This is a big problem because students are losing critical information that could help promote learning and understanding.We need to eliminate this lossylearning problem and make all assignment submissions visible to students!
193 Comments
dave_perry
Community Explorer

I only just discovered this when looking into it for a member of staff. I told her the suggestion it couldn't sounded ridiculous, and have just told canvas support this when ringing them up to check if it really couldn't be done by the student.

rodger-ling
Community Member

"Beyond six months" made me smile.  Here's another IT'S BEEN FOUR YEARS and an idea that got a lot of good attention is still languishing.  It's yet another "I can't believe Canvas doesn't think this is important" moment for me.  

thomas_e_lindsa
Community Novice

This is a great idea and one for which Canvas already has a model: Canvas allows instructors the access/functionality we want students to have. If we can access multiple submissions of one assignment (and the corresponding comments), then students should be able to do so too. Students need old submissions and old feedback in order to improve and track their progress. Indeed, in classes that require students to revise, self-reflect, create work portfolios, and advocate for their own grades (e.g., in the Learning Record), old submissions and old feedback are essential sources of "data" that students need in order to develop their skills, showcase their development, and earn the grades they deserve. Simultaneously, instructors need "one-stop" places to view and comment on multiple submissions of the same assignment. As an alternative, we can post multiple assignments to collect multiple revisions of one master assignment, but this option usually means we have to add clutter and track more assignments in an already packed "Assignments" section in Canvas.

dave_perry
Community Explorer

It's now on the table apparently. That is a bit of progress

jeannewagnewt
Community Novice

The lack of student access to previously submitted assignments in the same dropbox is very challenging and frustrating for students and we have received numerous complaints, which adds time to the instructor's workload.

mieke_hoing
Community Participant

Additionally, filled-in instances of rubrics should also stay available to both students and teachers for each submission of the same assignment, as I pointed out in this feature idea.

dave_perry
Community Explorer

You know that idea has been archived already right?

mieke_hoing
Community Participant

I am aware of that. I've added a link to it anyway because it contains a more elaborate description of what I meant.

jackiehughes
Community Novice

While in SpeedGrader, instructors can see the markups for all submission attempts for a particular student.  The student REALLY needs to see the previous feedback on the earlier submissions.  

331263_Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 2.40.42 PM.png

331264_Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 2.40.53 PM.png

stephen_beers
Community Participant

We serve ~3000 students in fully online, self-paced programs.  We discovered this flaw only recently and are getting reports that faculty are very, very frustrated.  Many of them take time to offer detailed feedback on submissions, and expect students to consult that feedback as they resubmit work.  In a self-paced program, multiple resubmissions are not uncommon.  It seems odd to me that this is a feature request that has been hanging out for four years, as opposed to built-in functionality.