[Studio] Allow 1.25x speed for videos

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

With classes going online, it has been incredibly helpful to watch and rewatch lectures on my own time. However, especially in my current class, my professor talks quite slowly. I can easily become restless while rewatching lectures, and I often will speed up the video to 1.5x speed to keep my mind engaged.

However, while 1.5x is better than 1x, I sometimes get confused and lost. An option to play videos at 1.25x speed would be the perfect middle ground between 1x and 1.5x, significantly improving my studying process and allowing me to be more time efficient while staying engaged with the material.

While most other video streaming services (like YouTube) offer a 1.25x speed option, Canvas does not. I know this would be an incredibly simple addition, and yet it would offer a lot of value to my education. 

Thank you!

Jonah

Added to Theme

23 Comments
JacobKeech
Community Member

Hi there,

It would be great to have this 1.25x playback speed added as a feature. I have had students provide feedback that they had been used to using this in Blackboard, and now that we have moved to using Canvas, it would be great if they could continue playing videos at 1.25x speed.

Rosye78
Community Novice

I'm joining the plead as I'm also an ADHD student who suffers through 1x speed videos but can't grasp the content at 1,5x speed. I NEED 1,25x speed, please, please, pleaseeeee!!!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Studio Release Notes (2023-02-21)