[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
lbandler
Community Novice

Please do this.  There are many good arguments for it:

- addressing disability

- addressing convenience for academics

- uploading scanned hand written or DRAWN documents

- uploading late assignments (to separate them from ones that have submitted on time)

- uploading written examinations

etc etc etc

What more do you need?  There's a real need for this and your action would be appreciated.  It was relatively straightforward in our old LMS - so that makes it more frustrating.

Thanks!

#submit student paper into canvas assignment slot

skhagen
Community Contributor

Another amen here. This would be a great feature, and it would be great to know whether it's still in development.

nazariok
Community Novice

I've had this come for the individual students that may have technical difficulties, or submit an assignment late (or just never figure out how to submit it correctly).  The faculty instructor then asks for an emailed copy of the assignment - which is not normally accepted for grading. They want to upload it to include a clear distinction that it was uploaded by the instructor, not acting as the user/student.  We'd like to have this feature updated as well, to include grading it per the rubric and markup or comments.  

lindalee
Community Contributor

Certainly there are workarounds -- like adding another "Assign To" area for the affected students, for instance. But that, of course, triggers notifications about assignment date changes, which can cause confusion. Providing teaching team members (and admins) with the ability to accomplish the end goal without triggering excessive notifications would be very welcome!

whites
Community Member

I have students who have technical difficulties with uploading and email me the assignment or they upload the file into the wrong assignment.  It would be far easier to upload for a student rather than troubleshooting why it didn't work for them.  If turnitin will let professors upload files on behalf of students, surely Canvas can do this too!

andrew_mathas
Community Participant

I am amazed that this is not already a standard feature. In my experience, it is necessary to upload an assignment for at least one student, and typically quite a few more, every time that I set an assignment.

vince_diller
Community Novice

Pile on to the pro comments. We use a student portfolio approach to a few classes and some items work best if I upload due to project formats etc. Upload for student button would be greatly appreciated so I have the option to use the editor to post additional comments. 

zcburns
Community Member

Please please please implement this feature.
If you need another use case/rationale, I've had students who were proud and excited to submit e-mail me assignments before I created an assignment on Canvas. It hardly seems like the moment to be pedantic about submission process.

ekc13b
Community Novice

We get questions about this a lot at our institution. Instructors do not have the ability to masquerade as students, so this would be an excellent feature .

ab3908
Community Novice

Just adding to the chorus - PLEASE implement this feature!