[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
david-rethwisch
Community Novice

A few have commented that the students might see this as a crutch. That isn't the intent. You could still refuse to upload it late. My problem is students are taking classes from home and some of them have poor internet connectivity to begin with and then they now share it with their parent(s) and siblings working from home. Their internet bandwith will work for sending a large email (though it goes slowly), but it creates big problems (timing out etc.) when they try to upload to Canvas. I have great internet connectivity. So if they email it to me I can upload it. Given their internet problems they can't. They could if they were on campus, but when will that occur? So this is very much a COVID problem.

rita_cronise
Community Novice

Due to the pandemic one of our students was not able to register for this semester on time (it took a few weeks extra weeks to get her through the registration process and into our course). I had been giving her the reading assignments by email and she submitted her first assignment to me by mail - on time - and now that I'm grading papers I had no idea I would not be able to upload her assignment for grading. Please allow this. It is very inconvenient to track externally submitted assignments without some kind of instructor override - with an explanation. 

algeorge
Community Novice

One of my students has been struggling with mental health issues, and so she was granted an extension for the semester. She has now emailed me her make-up work, and I have no way of uploading it to Canvas for grading. PLEASE allow this feature. If instructors don’t want to use if, they don’t have to....but the rest of us would REALLY appreciate it. 

mweingarden
Community Novice

I have Pre-algebra students that have struggled with school all along and I am so impressed that they were able to login to Canvas (UC Scout) and complete practice problems.  But I want to see their work.   I like the fact that you can upload photos via the Canvas Student app or the computer.  It's great to have both of those options.  But many kids can't install an app on their phone (either because of parent prohibitions or because they don't have space left!).   And some kids have been trying to upload their photos and having problems.  But all can email their photos to me.   It would be so nice if I could upload their email attachments to I can use SpeedGrader.   Thank you for listening!

lealex
Community Novice

I agree with others. This is a feature that almost every instructor would use at some point and I'm feeling its absence right now. I had a student submit a paper after the semester by email and would really like to be able to grade it using the rubric in Canvas, without having to have more back and forth with the student who has already had a lot of trouble getting it submitted, between COVID and family problems. Please make this a feature!

chiarag
Community Member

Student submitted file types not currently supported by Canvas (and why aren't .heic files supported anyway?). I emailed them and they sent back via email in new format. Why can't I just upload these for them rather than having to send instructions on a new submission? It would make life easier and emails fewer.

LisaKath
Community Novice

Just wanted to throw in my two cents that I'd also like to see this feature implemented... not that I'd use it often, but it gives me flexibility to support students to the extent that I feel the situation warrants.

Kirill
Community Member

It's quite incredible that after more than five years (!) this trivial thing is still not done.

SocialStudies7
Community Novice

Being able to submit on behalf of a student would make my life much easier.  Let's make it happen, Canvas!

freeman1
Community Participant

The lack of this essential and very simple feature is baffling.