[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
kdobson1
Community Member

Like many others here I'm surprised that this suggestion is 5 years old and yet there seems to be no real movement on this. Especially now considering the amount of work submitted online has probably grown exponentially over the past few months and so this would be a hugely beneficial feature that would reduce the workload of teachers working from home.

Please Canvas moderators/techies can you look into adding this feature? Surely it should be high priority to support the current online learning that is happening?

stucker
Community Explorer

YES

jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

Please incorporate this suggestion!  It's been around for along time, and gotten a lot of discussion - it's time!

bourjaim
Community Participant

So....nothing in five years, eh Canvas?  Top notch support you have here.

ecannis
Community Novice

In non covid, I would love to be able to upload all student exams from in-person exams and grade on speedgrader--love the feedback and handwritten electronic saving and rubrics.  It would be nice if I could just upload each exam then grade digitally.

rnogales
Community Member

I'm certain I've seen this suggestion before, but I cannot find it in the Idea Conversations.  I would like to be able to submit work for students if they cannot.  Frequently, I find a student cannot submit an assignment for a variety of technical reasons.  In these instances, I still need to be able to view and comment on their work in Canvas.  It would be incredibly helpful for us to have the ability to upload, for example, an emailed document on behalf of the student, so they can still view our comments and feedback in SpeedGrader without having to hand-mark and scan/upload the essay as an attachment to comments.

barsmith
Community Member

I would like this too. I had a course number switch during an independant study, so my school created a new Canvas Course with the new course number. I could import all of the content I had created from the old course into the new one, but not the assignments the student had already uploaded. And she no longer had some of the images. It would have been simplest if I could just move them for her.

eccentric_rune
Community Member

Adding my support to this. For all its faults, even Blackboard allowed me to submit student files on their behalf them when issues came up and they could not submit. 

jlee525
Community Member

This is exactly what I need. Please make it possible!

juliehmh
Community Member

I definitely support this concept. As a mathematics teacher, I have students sharing photographs of their work. Many are struggling getting a readable version as they go from cell phone picture emailed to themselves or uploaded to their drive and then to canvas. The phone app has not resolved their efforts either as a new file .heic extension doesn't open in canvas. And some students that struggle and email it to me is not practical to refuse the assignment until they submit it correctly. In the pandemic, during virtual school, in a social-economic deprived community, it would be great to accept any submissions and assist in getting them into the students' canvas accounts.