[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
STARSHIP21
Community Explorer

The dark mode on mobile is great, however it would be helpful if the custom colors option for the local Canvas organization operator could have options to have seperate custom colors for light & dark mode, because it's hard to find a color that can fit in both light mode & dark mode.

yusufie
Community Member

A dark theme would be great. The bright mode of Canvas hurts our eyes.

yusufie
Community Member

A dark theme would be great for Canvas

ConalG
Community Novice

+1 Dark theme.

CatieRasmussen
Community Novice

I would love to see a dark mode setting on canvas, it's a lot easier on my eyes when staring at screens.

BenMerryman
Community Member

+1 and I would love an official dark mode for Canvas.  🌃

Turkey
Community Member

For anyone who was confused like me: You vote for this feature to be implemented by voting 5 stars on the original post. That's the five black stars just under the title, "Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas." I'm on PC, so it might be different on the app.

I see that dark mode is already available on ios and android, but I can't do all my assignments on my phone. On my laptop, I get eye strain just like everyone else, even with blue light blockers and screen dimmers. I'm sure it's much worse for people with diagnosable eye conditions.

zap
Community Novice

Great idea, would be very useful indeed.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme