[Theme Editor] Dark Theme/Dark Mode for Canvas

Hello all! I am a student, and I am here to suggest an idea that I thought would make Canvas more personalized. I think a dark theme would be great for Canvas since some students like to stay up at night (not me), and the bright white light from Canvas can hurt their eyes. The main reason why I want it is because it would look better on my computer. Youtube and Google have these options, why not Canvas? Thank you for reading!

Comments from Instructure

While we are not able to announce that this idea has been completed, it is important to celebrate that Dark Mode has been added to Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, and Canvas Parent. (2022-07-05)

349 Comments
jcarpenter1
Panda Pros
Panda Pros

Hello @erikamg17 , as you can tell from this link https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Dark-Theme-for-Canvas/idc-p/364080#M18671 , you are not the first to ask for this.  This link also has some options that could be used.

Best of luck!

Qalamity
Community Novice

Please add darkmode. My eyes are sensitive. 

bgray6
Community Novice

Hey, I know other people have suggested it, but I want to throw it out there as well. I think a Dark Mode for canvas would be really beneficial. I personally have more trouble reading dark text over a light background than the other way around. Plus working on canvas late at night can be blinding with the normal screen tones canvas provides even with the blue light disabled through my laptops settings. I notice myself wanting to work more on my homework than I actually do because the eye strain from the white background just gets to be too much.

maddieframe
Community Novice

Students across the globe, including myself, are using Canvas for their online coursework - the key word here is online.  It is literally painful to be online all day without dark mode options.  My most commonly used platforms are OneNote, Canvas, Google Docs, and Zoom.  I have Dark Mode enabled on OneNote and I have a Chrome extension for Dark Mode on Docs.  Zoom is inherently in Dark Mode.  It's your turn, Canvas, to preserve the eyesight of myself and millions of other students and instructors.  Please design a Dark Mode.

whaleyjo
Community Member

dark theme would be great and it looks cool and i think it could also help with people who's sights vary

whaleyjo
Community Member

yes i do agree it can help w/ not hurting eyes and it does look kinda cool

Arkynsky
Community Novice

there should be an ability to enable dark mode for students studying late at night, without risking hurting their eyes from blue light.

ed_1
Community Member

The original 'white mode' on Canvas sucks, let me tell you. Dark Mode needs to be on Canvas for people who want it/need it.

We need a Dark Mode on Canvas because users like me like DM (Dark Mode), are sensitive to bright vibrant colors. People have terrible headaches from white color. We need DM because people like DM or are sensitive to bright colors/lights..etc. I love DM because my eyes don't get strained from looking at my screen, and the black background is much better than Canvas' color choice, as I like to call it, "Straining Bright White". Other apps have DM. I know some people like "Straining Bright White" but some of us, including me, DON'T LIKE IT. Canvas, make DM happen. I'm not gonna say it again. MAKE. DARK. MODE. HAPPEN.

-ed_1

stevenalvarez
Community Explorer

It would be fantastic if there was a dark mode available for SpeedGrader!

Moakalatte
Community Member

Yes, dark mode on the Canvas website is a must!