Use Rich-Text Editor in Instructor Comments on Quiz Answers

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas  Learn more about voting...
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

37652_rich_text_-_quiz_answers.pngrich_text_-_quiz_answers.png

This is one branch of the larger, 'Rich Content Editor everywhere' Movement.

The original feature discussion:

Use Rich-Text Editor in Instructor Comments on Quiz Answers : Help Center

Response from Instructure:

This feature is complete.  Find more information here:

Canvas Studio: Question Feedback RTE

Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-05-16)

27 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for breaking this out into one idea!  This is a great idea and we look forward to seeing it move forward for voting!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I will vote for this, but if you have the Respondus 4.0 software to batch-upload quiz questions (formatted a specific way) in a file, you should be able to do some of this already using the "Wordpad" program in Windows.  Wordpad allows for simple formatting of quiz questions and answers by applying things like bold, italics, underlining, superscripts, and subscripts.  You upload the file to the Respondus 4.0 software, and that software connects to Canvas.  I may write up a short "how to" for formatting files in this community in the near future.  I think it would be helpful for people.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Chris_Hofer ​ we also use Respondus for things like this and find it very useful. Some of our faculty do it themselves, but we provide the service to those who would rather not mess with it!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yeah...same here, Kona.  Most of our faculty just give us a file with questions/answers on it, and we format it for them to feed into Respondus.

boydm
Community Novice

This was posted July 19th, 2012 in the original feature request without any improvement.

Not having this feature is a serious hindrance to STEM exams. The current feedback text box doesn't accept any HTML code and removes any carriage returns and extraneous spaces - so you can't even make a half-hearted attempt to post a math equation or accounting entry. You also cannot add a web URL other than plain text, so even linking to a feedback page is cumbersome.

In it's current form, this tool allows me to give a one or two sentence explanation, or just a "Yes!" feedback entry. Almost all other LMS products have this functionality, we shouldn't be expected to resort to a third-party tool just to give decent quiz feedback.

This has been a need for too long, please fix this!

Community Participant

Just want to note that while you can currently edit Rich Text and even formulas in both the question prompts and answers, this particular request is about rich text in the student feedback that the instructor provides when students get correct or incorrect answers. Take a close look at the screen shot at the top of the thread to see what I mean.

kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

I have converted quizzes from a Word doc to Canvas in Respondus.  Images will upload to the feedback box and display UNTIL I edit the question, then all students will see is the HTML code where the image should be.  Why is this? I am working on a Math course and some of the feedback contains formulas that need to be shown the explanation. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

That one I'm not sure about.  To confirm, are the images uploaded to the "Files" area of the course where the quiz is being administered?

kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

Yes, they are. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I wonder if you should submit that as a bug for Instructure engineers to look at further?