Word Count

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we get a word count tool for our courses?

Well, I don't know about a word count minimum requirement.  I was just thinking put something in like the corner of the text box or in the toolbar where it shows how many words have been written.  Yeah, I've had assignments where I had to have a 300 word minimum, and would have to copy and paste it into Word to figure out if I had enough.  I think this is an easy script to make, but I don't want to assume anything since I have very little programming experience or ability.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14438-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-04-21 .

133 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Jacci,

Thanks for bringing attention to this.  Renee will comment in the other feature idea.

monte
Community Novice

I looks like the voting period is over. Too bad. I very much would like to have the ability to manage and measure the number of words my students use when responding to essay quiz questions.  Please provide something for us!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@monte ​, this feature idea is narked as in development! Hopefully this means it will be implemented sooner rather than later!

wilco001
Community Novice

Yes, please! The sooner the better!

joel_mills
Community Novice

Yes, I would second this feature to be added as well.

As Canvas is used within Higher Education here at our university, it is a requirement for students to both declare their wordcount at the point of submission and then for the word count to be done electronically by speedgrader.

Students in Higher Education often get penalties applied for being over or under the word count within a tolerance between 

5 - 10% depending on the institution.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

It's always fun to see the beautiful yellow In Development banner.... Smiley Happy

hong_chau
Community Novice

Any update on this? Seems like it was put on the back burner for Fall 2015, but will we see this completed during this quarter?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Hong,

Yes, your perception is correct.  There is another project that has to get done before this one can be implemented.  I don't know a timeline but it is on hold for now. 

Thanks,

Scott

bxf13b
Community Participant

Here is my suggestion for a workaround, while Canvas is developing this feature.

monte
Community Novice

Great suggestion on the browser tool. Thanks! I’ll use this in my upcoming final exam. Still, I don’t want to take the “heat” off of the suggestion to the Canvas team. Having a tool native in Canvas that puts a hard stop on the word limit is the most desired solution.