add newly accept course to course menu by default

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

After someone accepts a course invitation, could Canvas add the course, by default, to the course menu? That way, people would see the course immediately in their drop-down lists and could remove it later.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-12-10)

34 Comments
helen_macfarlan
Community Novice

I think that it would be nice to have an opt-out for everyone. Or that this functionality could be set in Settings/Notifications. I see it as being helpful for more than just admins.

powellj
Community Participant

Hi Deactivated user​,

YES PLEASE! This would solve so many issues we have been having for the last two semesters with our students not being able to find their new courses.

It would be wonderful if this feature could be incorporated into Canvas prior to the start of the Fall term. With enrollment numbers being higher for the Fall term across the board at nearly all k-12 and higher ed institutions, I know this would clear up so much confusion - which in turn would cut down on the support calls that come in, not only to our help desk, but to Instructure as well! I don't know how time intensive this change will be, but any progress that can be made prior to Fall would be most appreciated! Smiley Happy

palmarinich
Community Contributor

+1

I much prefer the idea of users opting out of seeing a course on the Dashboard, rather than having to opt in.  Simply switching all new courses as favorited would resolve a lot of headaches for students (and faculty!).

jenn_stevens
Community Contributor

Yes please!!

christopher_mcg
Community Member

That solution sounds great to me!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-08-15)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Idea is currently in development  Learn more about voting...

Previously included in Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-08-15)

We want this feature to have the least amount of impact on prior courses as possible. We feel that it's important to try to limit auto-favoriting to new enrollments, not all prior enrollments that may still be open. Those of you with no term, course, or section override dates would have been affected by the previous implementation of this feature.

Our goal is to get this feature back into beta as quickly as possible. More information will be posted as it is available.

pcraig
Community Novice

Any information on when we can expect this functionality to be back in beta?  Our students would greatly benefit from this feature being implemented and it has been a point of confusion when new enrollments occur. 

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Paul,

While I cannot give you and exact delivery date I can tell you that getting this fixed is top priority.  I just reviewed the documentation around this project and see that there is no lack of resources or other correctable obstacle.  In other words they are working as fast as they can to get it fixed.  Sorry I cannot be more specific than that.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-11-28)